The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In 1973 I bought 100 quids worth of PB's, I've not had a single penny back in winnings. I might be just unlucky, or the big one is not far away!

I have one from 1954, given to me when I was born. While I fully understand each bond has an equal chance it's clear to have a good chance of winning one needs a sizeable holding. I also understand, though I know a mathmetician will prove me wrong, a large holding of sequential numbers has a greater chance of winning. The theory is any number drawn must be within a sequence. If one holds the sequence the number must be within it - if you get my drift.

Our winnings, usually £25, are automatically invested as new bonds. Every time we hit £1000 I cash in all the £25 sequences and buy a new block of 1000.

When we were very young and poor we won £500 - we still sleep in the bed it bought! New mattress though!

Last edited:

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I remember getting a few pb's when i was about 10 or 11. They were a 10 shillings in those days? No idea what happened to them.

I am sure I had some given to me on birthdays when I was little.
I have no idea what became of them. I have been all through what was left of my dad's stuff and then my mum's stuff after she passed away but no luck in finding them.
I dont suppose I won anything anyway :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I am sure I had some given to me on birthdays when I was little.
I have no idea what became of them. I have been all through what was left of my dad's stuff and then my mum's stuff after she passed away but no luck in finding them.
I dont suppose I won anything anyway :laugh:

Same here. I remember the paper documents, but god knows what happened to them. ^_^

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Same here. I remember the paper documents, but god knows what happened to them. ^_^

Thats exactly the same.
I have hunted high and low for them.
Only thing I can think is when my father passed away my mum got rid of loads of his stuff.
I would suspect they probably got thrown with that stuff as I never found them in amongst my mums possessions.
Bit of a shame, it would have been nice to have checked the numbers.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Do you mind if i ask on average how many times a year you have won something?

We have won every month this year between £25 and £175. On annual average it's £100+ per month.

I have retirement investments which are giving a better return. However the PBs are instantly accessible, secure, tax free and I, rather sadly, get pleasure each month from them........and you never know what might happen. Our investments which give a better return are harder to access, subject to tax and can go up and down even though they are in very conservative funds. When I get my state pension and become a tax payer again it will take careful management to avoid paying tax on those funds. I won more on the PBs this month than the monthly growth on our investment fund, obviously that varies monthly.

Instant access is important because until my state pension kicks in our joint income is only just sufficient to meet our needs. The PBs give me the flexibility to dip in and out of the savings we need to spend, put some back one month, get more out another.

This makes us sound wealthy, we are not, just fortunate to have had decent jobs and been a part of the golden generation born in the mid 50s to late 60s. We had everything available to us, great education, job prospects, freedom etc.................even if the mortgage often hit 12-16% and we could hardly pay it and had to save to buy the kids shoes!!!!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
We have won every month this year between £25 and £175. On annual average it's £100+ per month.

I have retirement investments which are giving a better return. However the PBs are instantly accessible, secure, tax free and I, rather sadly, get pleasure each month from them........and you never know what might happen. Our investments which give a better return are harder to access, subject to tax and can go up and down even though they are in very conservative funds. When I get my state pension and become a tax payer again it will take careful management to avoid paying tax on those funds. I won more on the PBs this month than the monthly growth on our investment fund, obviously that varies monthly.

Instant access is important because until my state pension kicks in our joint income is only just sufficient to meet our needs. The PBs give me the flexibility to dip in and out of the savings we need to spend, put some back one month, get more out another.

This makes us sound wealthy, we are not, just fortunate to have had decent jobs and been a part of the golden generation born in the mid 50s to late 60s. We had everything available to us, great education, job prospects, freedom etc.................even if the mortgage often hit 12-16% and we could hardly pay it and had to save to buy the kids shoes!!!!

I only have a small lump sum from my private pension. I am not of pensionable age yet either. The amount of interest i earn is pitifal, so if i do buy some Pb's i won't be missing out on interest. My mum often puts my birthday and christmas money together and gives it to me at christmas. Last year she gave me £300. If i am fortunate enough this year to get anything, i may well invest it in Pb's. I certainly don't have anything to lose. As you say, tax free instant access, so nothing to lose.

D

Deleted member 1258

Well done for getting out there.

The annoying part of it was it had stopped raining by the time I got home.

Top Bottom