The Retirement Thread

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Dirk, 6 Apr 2017.

1. 172traindriver

172traindriver Legendary Member

Thats exactly the same.
    I have hunted high and low for them.
    Only thing I can think is when my father passed away my mum got rid of loads of his stuff.
    I would suspect they probably got thrown with that stuff as I never found them in amongst my mums possessions.
    Bit of a shame, it would have been nice to have checked the numbers.

classic33, dave r, Dirk and 1 other person like this.
  2. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

We have won every month this year between £25 and £175. On annual average it's £100+ per month.

I have retirement investments which are giving a better return. However the PBs are instantly accessible, secure, tax free and I, rather sadly, get pleasure each month from them........and you never know what might happen. Our investments which give a better return are harder to access, subject to tax and can go up and down even though they are in very conservative funds. When I get my state pension and become a tax payer again it will take careful management to avoid paying tax on those funds. I won more on the PBs this month than the monthly growth on our investment fund, obviously that varies monthly.

Instant access is important because until my state pension kicks in our joint income is only just sufficient to meet our needs. The PBs give me the flexibility to dip in and out of the savings we need to spend, put some back one month, get more out another.

This makes us sound wealthy, we are not, just fortunate to have had decent jobs and been a part of the golden generation born in the mid 50s to late 60s. We had everything available to us, great education, job prospects, freedom etc.................even if the mortgage often hit 12-16% and we could hardly pay it and had to save to buy the kids shoes!!!!

classic33, dave r, Dirk and 2 others like this.
  3. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

I only have a small lump sum from my private pension. I am not of pensionable age yet either. The amount of interest i earn is pitifal, so if i do buy some Pb's i won't be missing out on interest. My mum often puts my birthday and christmas money together and gives it to me at christmas. Last year she gave me £300. If i am fortunate enough this year to get anything, i may well invest it in Pb's. I certainly don't have anything to lose. As you say, tax free instant access, so nothing to lose.

GM, dave r, Dirk and 1 other person like this.
  4. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I've got one as well, given me at age seven

5. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

The annoying part of it was it had stopped raining by the time I got home.

classic33, GM, welsh dragon and 2 others like this.
  6. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Mines in the big unit in the back of the lounge, I checked it a few years ago but it wasn't a winner.

7. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

I also bought 100 quids worth around 12 years ago with the idea that if I won anything I would invest more. 12 years and absolutely nothing :blush:

8. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

Spent an entertaining 30 minutes pulling stuff out of the loft storage cupboards - under the eaves - to get all the Christmas decorations out.

9. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

51 years and neither of mine have ever come up.

10. Drago

Drago Guru

Premium Bonds are a swizz. I only won £10,000 once.

11. welsh dragon

:laugh:

172traindriver and Dirk like this.
  12. oldwheels

oldwheels Über Member

PaulSB has just told use he has loadsa dosh. To get that sort of return you need to have the full £50,000.

dave r, Dirk and welsh dragon like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

I've got the full amount allowable and have only won £25 this year.:sad:
    Think I might cash 'em in and go on a spending spree.....

172traindriver, GM, Paulus and 3 others like this.
  14. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Wet and windy today, the weather not Drago.

classic33, GM, dave r and 3 others like this.
  15. welsh dragon

Another one with wet and windy weather. Thank goodness i can't see Dragos underpants. :hello::laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice