The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GM

Legendary Member
Morning all...... Wow that was the best sleep I've had for a long while. Wifey woke me up with a nice cup of tea at 10.30. We've got our daughter staying overnight, so I've been promoted to the box room. After yesterday's slog I didn't finish until 8.30pm, aching all over, nice hot shower soon put things right. A few light domestic jobs to do and maybe a bike ride with daughter later. Suppose I'd better get up then! 🌈

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Good afternoon peeps. Been out and about on my bike. After pumping my new tyre up
:angry:. No idea why it went flat. 12.5 miles for me. Loads of traffic about. I think everyone that owns a motorbike in England is in Wales today.

I live behind the hills in the above photo.

12boy

Guru
Classic 33 the Steamroler is an 04 but I bought the bare frame in 06, I believe. If interested, it has Dimension cartridge hubs, Sun R18 rims, a Velo Orange cartridge, headset, stem and narrow leather saddle, Shimano cartridge get bottom bracket, Tiagra brakes, Sugino RD crankarms and Sugino chain ring, Somafab moustache bars with cloth tape and twine, shellacked, DiaCompe brakes and 3 sets of wheels. That is so I can change tires, and gearing without pulling the tires off. Just realized its 16 years old, and although I've ridden it tens of thousands of miles, in temps from -18 C to 40C in many different configurations, it is as good as new except for the odd scrape here and there. Studded snow tires, slicks, cyclocross tires, fixed, 3 speed, single speed, its all been good. Obviously nothing like the jazzy carbon and Al bikes many on this thread ride, but it and my Brompton are far and away my favorites ever. I could probably take it apart and reassemble that Steamroller with my eyes closed and I know I've done it without the aid of any leetle grey cells whatsoever. When you've ridden a bike so long its really more like wearing a comfortable old pair of shoes than actually riding it. I am sure I'll have it until I die, hopefully not while riding it. Prolly more than you wanted to know. Thanks for asking.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just returned from a wander around the locality with Mrs Tenkay who wanted to "get her steps in"
We could hear the strains of music in the distance, gradually getting louder as we approached a corner. The music was coming from the grounds of a relatively new care home facility. Looking through the landscaped gardens we could see and hear a live performer ( with jacket cuffs turned up a la Johnny Hallyday) belting out " Sweet Caroline" to a group of about 20 seated ladies and gents who were engaged in what appeared to " chairobics"
What struck home a bit was that the music is tailored to suit the audience and I was singing along in my head as we walked past...
Having said all that one of our acquaintances is a wine merchant and I've seen his van delivering supplies there on several occasions 🍷🍷

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Where you live looks just as nice as where I live in North Wales. Plenty of good scenery on the door step even with all those hills to climb.
Yes, when I holidayed in North Wales I thought it was very similar.

Afternoon walk done but mobbed again. The car park was overflowing. Cars up on the grass and some just parked in the road making it quite narrow. Thankfully the bulk of them were in the park rather than on the walk.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Yes, when I holidayed in North Wales I thought it was very similar.

Afternoon walk done but mobbed again. The car park was overflowing. Cars up on the grass and some just parked in the road making it quite narrow. Thankfully the bulk of them were in the park rather than on the walk.

It can get quite busy around here too Mo, even making the national news a few weeks back.
The local population tend to know some lovely places to go and also where to avoid when the grockles arrive ( not being judgemental, I class myself as a grockle when visiting other places)
I expect it must be the same in your neck of the woods

GM

Legendary Member
Early tootle on the hybrid done. I enjoy an early Sunday spin. Things are well back to normal now though. The south side of Loch Earn is mobbed with campers and anglers now.

That's 180 miles for the week which is good considering my back has been niggling.

View attachment 535423

That's exactly 170 miles more than what I did last week! .... Another nice photo Mo. :okay:

Top Bottom