The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Why not rob your local bank,you could have a time share at the big house on Dartmoor for several years with no financial outlay.:hyper::hyper::hyper:
My neighbour Tom, who is 84, lived in Princetown during the war years and into the early 50s.
His dad was a prison officer when Dartmoor nick was a high security establishment.
Tom takes great delight in recounting his experiences on Dartmoor during the winter of 1947.:eek:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
"Well the rules are clear, but they're there for breaking" said the d******d on the 10.00 news.......with his mask only covering his mouth.

I despair. This is going to get very, very bad before it gets better.

classic33

Leg End Member
"Well the rules are clear, but they're there for breaking" said the d******d on the 10.00 news.......with his mask only covering his mouth.

I despair. This is going to get very, very bad before it gets better.
It's the new "fashion statement" amongst politicians.
IMG_20201030_011443.jpg

Exlaser2

Veteran
Night night every one. All this talk of retiring and money has made me very reflective. I have to say I am very careful with money. Probably because my dad wasn’t. He spend the last decades of his life living beyond his means on credit cards. . By the time I had to step in because of his memory loss, he was living off the state pension and owed £50,000 pounds to 8 credit card companies which meant the minimum interest payments were more than the total money he had coming in . Luckily I managed to sort it out before he died ( thank god for citizens advice ) , which means my mum has at least has lived to 86 in a semi comfortable retirement .
I only bring this up as a warning, to anyone thinking of retiring early . Please please make sure you have done all the correct calculations. Self delusion at this point only brings pain to your family going forward.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I fully get where you're coming from. When our poessions are sold off I guess this would raise £10-15000. Realistically I think my bikes would be 20/25% of this value. Second-hand TV - £50?

Thing is I saved for a pension for 30+ years, paid £23k for my house now worth £400k. Theoretically we are wealthy but in reality we can never spend the £400k we live inside. I did nothing to earn this increase. I don't deserve it.

It's only paper value and means nothing till we die. In some ways a sad reflection of the world we live in.
I agree there.
My situation is slightly different as in I have money in the bank but our house is not high value. It a big, solid house with 3 good gardens but the close is next to a council estate the USED to have a bad reputation. But reputations stick and the house would fetch less than £200K.

Top Bottom