The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We had a good afternoon with daughter, SiL granddaughter and grandson.
Granddaughter is a singer/guitarist. She brought her guitar and we had a singalong.
SiL is a singer/songwriter......he writes all the songs for the group he fronts.
Along with the pies and cakes they brought it was a good afternoon.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
No trouble, I'll just get me Kilt..........
I haven't got a kilt :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Heating engineer turned up - boiler checked out and serviced, a couple of O rings replaced and a clean bill of health issued. Not bad for £60 - he was here for nearly 2 hours. Will use him again and he only lives just around the corner.
Fencing contractor turned up - one (big) fence done, he's coming back tomorrow to do the other (small) one.
Not a bad day all together. :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Heating engineer turned up - boiler checked out and serviced, a couple of O rings replaced and a clean bill of health issued. Not bad for £60 - he was here for nearly 2 hours. Will use him again and he only lives just around the corner.
Fencing contractor turned up - one (big) fence done, he's coming back tomorrow to do the other (small) one.
Not a bad day all together. :okay:
Getting someone you trust and can do a good job is worth a lot.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ColinJ, just encountered an author new to me, David Houseman who you might enjoy.
Hmm - the only book I could find was THIS ONE and I'm sure that can't be right! :laugh:

Another one is Robert Crais.
Ah - I am currently watching all episodes of Hill Street Blues for about the 3rd time. He was one of the writers for that show. I will definitely read one of his books - thanks.

Suez-Sita are operating to their timetable, which is different to the council one.
What, the council employ them to handle the collections, tell them when to do them, but they say "Sorry, we'll do them when we feel like it"? :whistle:

Granddaughter is a singer/guitarist. She brought her guitar and we had a singalong.
My pal has bought a used guitar. It needed strings so I treated her to a set when I was ordering some for myself. She asked if I would go over to fit them for her. I told her not to be silly, it is an easy thing to do, plenty of videos on YouTube to show how to do it if she couldn't work it out for herself....

Nope - PLEASE would I do it for her...?

I reminded her that there is a long history of her asking me to do jobs that she doesn't know how to do, but as soon as I start to do them for her, she tells me that I am not doing them properly. No, no, no, she wouldn't do that in this case - she knows nothing about fitting guitar strings.

So, I reluctantly agree, get my bike out, and do a very chilly 8 km ride over to her house. I pick up her guitar and open the packet of strings. I fit one end of one string and she leans over and says...

"I don't think that you are doing that properly."

I really thought that she must be joking and told her so...

"No, seriously... I DON'T think that you are doing it properly!"

:banghead::cursing:

We compromised... we did alternate strings. I did bottom E, D and B my way; she did A, G and top E her way! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hmm - the only book I could find was THIS ONE and I'm sure that can't be right! :laugh:

Ah - I am currently watching all episodes of Hill Street Blues for about the 3rd time. He was one of the writers for that show. I will definitely read one of his books - thanks.

What, the council employ them to handle the collections, tell them when to do them, but they say "Sorry, we'll do them when we feel like it"? :whistle:

My pal has bought a used guitar. It needed strings so I treated her to a set when I was ordering some for myself. She asked if I would go over to fit them for her. I told her not to be silly, it is an easy thing to do, plenty of videos on YouTube to show how to do it if she couldn't work it out for herself....

Nope - PLEASE would I do it for her...?

I reminded her that there is a long history of her asking me to do jobs that she doesn't know how to do, but as soon as I start to do them for her, she tells me that I am not doing them properly. No, no, no, she wouldn't do that in this case - she knows nothing about fitting guitar strings.

So, I reluctantly agree, get my bike out, and do a very chilly 8 km ride over to her house. I pick up her guitar and open the packet of strings. I fit one end of one string and she leans over and says...

"I don't think that you are doing that properly."

I really thought that she must be joking and told her so...

"No, seriously... I DON'T think that you are doing it properly!"

:banghead::cursing:

We compromised... we did alternate strings. I did bottom E, D and B my way; she did A, G and top E her way! :laugh:
Something like that. You got a much more polite answer than I did.

ColinJ

Oh... I just spoke to my sister and she told me that a post-mortem has been done on a friend of hers who was supposed to have died of Covid-19. The actual cause was a pulmonary embolism!

The clotting may have been caused by Covid or a DVT, that isn't clear and will never be known now. What was really bad though was that the friend was sent home from hospital because they didn't have a bed for her. :sad:

It might be that they couldn't have saved her, but if the anticoagulation treatment for PE and/or emergency surgery is offered immediately, patients often can be saved. I am an example! I probably wouldn't have survived another couple of days if they had sent me home without treatment.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It's interesting how different couples operate their finances - l think there is a thread about it somewhere on CC.

Everything we have is ours and is accessed jointly. Neither of us give a fig about what the other spends although we always discuss bigger purchases as part of our monthly review.

One of my S-I-L's operates the same system as you and like you say if it works for them that's great.

What we can't get our head around though is that they lend and pay back money to each other. :ohmy:

We do that too (the bolded bit).

As I said, it works for us, if other people wish to do it differently, that is fine with me/us.

I recognise that it may seem strange to some, but, we both had previous partners who were financial liabilities, no desire to repeat that nightmare. ;)

ColinJ

Didn't sleep well last night and woke feeling like I had a hangover. Coughing a lot which given I've had a bad cold isn't a surprise. Back in bed by 12.00 feeling absolute crap. Woke at 5.30 feeling a bit better.

Tested negative on Tuesday. Lateral Flow test negative this morning. Really don't know what to make of this.
My sister has a couple of nasty bugs like that this year. She has taken lots of Covid tests and always been negative, so presumably there is something else doing the rounds as well. Ah - the Super Cold! :eek:

Top Bottom