The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
No, you're joking?! Next you'll be saying that they play with an oval ball and have to pass backwards!

England did have a penalty advantage as it happens.

Next you'll be saying that they play with an oval ball and have to pass backwards!

I think it would be brave to make that statement ;-)

They've been pretty good with that this tournament. France got pinged for it twice yesterday. That said what constitutes a "flat pass" is questionable at times.

It bugs me because it's something that's FUNDAMENTAL to the game, visible to EVERYONE - in the ground, on the telly - and doesn't need any expertise to interpret. It makes the match look unprofessional? (for want of a better word) sloppy maybe?
You often hear a loud "ooooh!" from the crowd when there's a long "not really flat" pass to someone flying down the wing.

Anyway, I suspect it doesn't advantage any particular teams, so not really a big deal. Now, if you want to talk about PFL players moving the foam at free kicks ...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I only saw highlights of the Eng/Irl match but there were plenty of "ooooh!" borderline passes in that.

But on a positive note what about that monster reverse pass from the French scrum half? That was just amazing.

Sean Edwards was quite funny on the subject afterwards. Something like "yes it was great wasn't it? ... But it wouldn't have been if it had been intercepted"

AndyRM

XOXO
It bugs me because it's something that's FUNDAMENTAL to the game, visible to EVERYONE - in the ground, on the telly - and doesn't need any expertise to interpret. It makes the match look unprofessional? (for want of a better word) sloppy maybe?
You often hear a loud "ooooh!" from the crowd when there's a long "not really flat" pass to someone flying down the wing.

Anyway, I suspect it doesn't advantage any particular teams, so not really a big deal. Now, if you want to talk about PFL players moving the foam at free kicks ...

The rationale seems to be that if it starts "backwards in the hands" (or something along those lines) then goes forward it's fine. Same with a lineout throw going wonky, starts straight then gets somehow blown off course.

I appreciate that wind can play a big part when the ball is miles in the air, but at basically ground level these massive stadiums are so sheltered it doesn't really have an impact.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a lot of guff spouted about the ball being passed backwards in the passer's frame of reference, which is moving. So the pass is backwards with respect to the passer, even if it travels forward over the ground.

To which I just say "ooooh!"

AndyRM

XOXO
There's a lot of guff spouted about the ball being passed backwards in the passer's frame of reference, which is moving. So the pass is backwards with respect to the passer, even if it travels forward over the ground.

To which I just say "ooooh!"

Aye, pretty much!

AndyRM

XOXO
One thing that did annoy me was the commentators constantly banging on about how poor a defender Ramos is. I can only assume they were on glue.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The rationale seems to be that if it starts "backwards in the hands" (or something along those lines) then goes forward it's fine. Same with a lineout throw going wonky, starts straight then gets somehow blown off course.

Something not afforded to me on a windy day in 1988 when I had to throw in, having never done it before, as the first choice hooker was away and the reserve hooker reconned he couldn't throw. I think I got pinged 7 times for not straight until I resorted to a bullet pass to the prop at the front. The problem with that throw is it works once, but the the oppo prop is looking for it next time.

England have threatened to play that well in patches but the error count has killed it off. A better balance with Lawrence fit and Feyi-Waboso in helped as well. Had Ford has his kicking boots on it wouldn't have been as close, but Ireland the contrived to lose it having found themselves stil in touch.

O'Mahoney's calculated risk in cynically fouling cost them, as England scored immediately and they lost him to the bin and the moment swung to England.

They also were not confident of being able to see out 2 mins without giving away a penalty so kicked possession away and then in the dying moments having conceded a very wide penalty (which would have been a tough kick for Smith) went offside again very centrally, so as well taken was Smiths DG, he would have had a simple pen to win it.

Scotland blew it vs Italy and were denied by poor use of the video vs France, but they will be a handful in Dublin I hope. England will need to play as well again to see of France, but if they do keep up this level, then BP win could well be o the cards, given how loose the France Wales game was.

An exciting weekend ahead and Wales could well collect the Wooden spoon.

But on a positive note what about that monster reverse pass from the French scrum half? That was just amazing.

Sean Edwards was quite funny on the subject afterwards. Something like "yes it was great wasn't it? ... But it wouldn't have been if it had been intercepted"

That was pretty cool - can you imagine anyone EXCEPT France doing that?!!?
having never tried such a thing, I can't begin to conceive how difficult that is - but it's clearly harder than doing it the "proper" way, and he only had a Picosecond* to spot a team-mate. Bravo!

*Yes, he did play 2nd row for Toulouse in the 60s. Great hands.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

Here it is for anyone who missed it.
and yes, i agree with Jonathan Davies for once, that could have gone anywhere and was a very risky move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/68529972

geocycle

Legendary Member
That pass was incredible but could have gone badly wrong, a 30% er. Can just imagine Sean Edwards with his dictionary looking up the French for ’you great daft ‘appeth’!

Top Bottom