The Skoda Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Hyundai Atoz was originally going to be called the Atos. The Uk importer tried to explain that calling a car "a toss" was not a good idea. Japan didn't get it, and the story goes that out of desperation someone at the importers drew a sketch of what a toss was in the UK and faxed it to Japan.

A short while later the phone rang to inform then it would now be called the Atoz.

I can imagine the drunken marketing dinner at which the Superb was named. "You seen the new saloon, its f*****g bloody brilliant, just superb?"
"Superb eh? Hhmmmmm..."

It's like the little 70s Toyota that ended up being called a Toyopet. They originally wanted to call it a Toyolet.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Aaah, the humour of the misnamed car…. the Ford Pinto (Brazilian slang for a little todger), the Vauxhall Nova (no-go in Spanish - an easy mistake to make but for the fact that Chevrolet had famously stepped in that trap before), the Mitsubishi Pajero (w***ker). We laugh.

I was going to add, wheel arches are filthy. :laugh:
They'll clean up nicely when it rains!!
I am in Yorkshire, after all!!

I gotta admit, I do like the model name "Superb". It speaks of a wonderful boldness and confidence.
I would have loved to see them build the Tudor concept, that was based on the first shape Superb

Sadly, (presumably) internal VAG politics appeared to hand the shape to the '4-rings', & it essentially became the A5 coupe

Skoda-Tudor_Concept-2002-ig.jpg

Edit; Saturday 20th @ 10:12

I wonder who, in the design studios, realised that two-door coupe' could be promoted as 'Tudor'?

Last edited:
I remember I was in London once as the West End Stage awards were on. My wife was very keen to hang around to see what celebs arrived.
Barbara Windsor was one I remember and everyone was turning up in flashy cars. Then an old green Skoda turned up and Dame Judy Dench got out.
Sensible woman.

With regard to my images of the Tudor concept above, there was one chap (in Practical Classics magazine) had done a similar (but 'DIY') conversion of a Rover 75 into a coupe
That looked marvellous........... even allowing for the roof/C-pillars coming from a scrapped BuM-W

Here it is (& a pick-up) https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/man-who-built-rover-75-coupe

As An Aside;
A few years ago, at one of the shows in Thornes Park (Wakefield) there was an Omega estate that had been converted into a Holden 'Ute' (think the daddy of the present Holden Maloo)
It looked great!!! (barring no V8!)

When l took my daughter to work this morning, l got a dashboard message stating ‘Change Keyfob Battery’

‘67’ plate Kodiaq, with keyless start

Does anyone know what battery, before l pull the fob apart to look?
Thanks in advance

As An Aside; l never changed a key battery in the 9years l owned the Octavia!

Usually a cr2032 aren't they ?
Look up the video on YouTube to show you how it's done.
I always have a stock of them for HRM straps and Various things for the bike anyway.

Mr T, how did you planet killing large SUV handle the journey this monring?

Fine, once I'd cleared the snow off the windows & enough around the door-frames, so it didn't all fall in, when we opened them
(using the handy scraper that's located on the rear face of the filler cap)

It was the other traffic that was the issue in starting/travelling along
I wasn't about to challenge the laws of physics, or indeed common sense, when stopping

Top Bottom