The strange business of sharing a bike ride with someone using an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I think a lot of contributors have not realised it not a normal ebike OP is talking about.
A normal ebike riding companion shouldn't be a problem alongside a normal roadbike, one will gain at one end of the spectrum, the other at the opposite end.
But the ebike in OPs story is far from a normal ebike...and its rider sounded like a tit as well.
I put this together today. Its for a mate. He wants me to try it out Friday morning. Cant say i am really looking forward to it. But i will give it a go. I think there is 4 of us going for a30 mile ride. Will let you know how i get on.
20190110_105457.jpg

Alan O

Über Member
I think a lot of contributors have not realised it not a normal ebike OP is talking about.
A normal ebike riding companion shouldn't be a problem alongside a normal roadbike, one will gain at one end of the spectrum, the other at the opposite end.
But the ebike in OPs story is far from a normal ebike...and its rider sounded like a tit as well.
Buy why go out on a bicycle with a companion riding some sort of totally powered fast vehicle and then write here complaining about it?

gbb

Legendary Member
Buy why go out on a bicycle with a companion riding some sort of totally powered fast vehicle and then write here complaining about it?
A simple lack of realisation of what he was up against I suspect. I'm sure he won't be riding with that guy again. However, I suspect if OP took a ride alongside a normal ebike with a sensible rider who wasn't just there to put one over on him, I'm sure OP would probably enjoy it.

I thank you! No, its not normal, the thing is way down from those bikes that are like moto crossers with an electric motor but its not a bike you would ever need to spin the pedals on until you had no battery left.
Somewhere along the thread it looks like I would fall out with the bloke over this but no, he has been my friend since 1978 and we probably polished off bottles of wine on the same night. I did tell him I would be unlikely to venture out in cycling company again due to him fully cheating, not half cheating or pseudo cheating, fully cheating. The man has two good legs and is very unlikely to use them because he is confirmed lazy.

Reactions: gbb

johnnyb47

Guru
If you feel the need to try and compete with an ebike great,, but there's certainly no point in complaining afterwards. My dads got one after his replacement hip operation never worked out for the best. I cycle with him and the usual dad v/s son competitions often come about. Its just a bit of fun as he laughs at me struggling to keep up with him on the hills. At the end of the day we both know we wouldn't be cycling together if it wasn't for his ebike. For him the ebike has given him, the chance to continue to cycle in his later years and help him exercise his body gently. For me it gives me a good work out trying to keep up with him on the hills, and Most importantly its given us that precious time again to continue to cycle together just like what we did many years ago. E bikes are an amazing invention and are brilliant for people who struggle with there health. They also come in very handy here on the hilly roads of Wales. Whether its an e bike or ordinary bike i would much rather see these than dam cars on the road. I personally quite enjoy trying to keep up with an Ebike. It gives me a work out and gives a small grin factor if i can get past. Cycling is all about enjoyment and freedom ,and that goes for all types of cyclists and bikes.

If it sounds like a complaint then it confirms me as the curmudgeonly git I see in the mirror when I shave. It is not meant to be a complaint, I thought it strange that I would be prickled by riding in company to someone propelled by an electric motor. I asked if anyone else had experienced riding as a twosome when the other bike was battery powered.

If you feel the need to try and compete with an ebike great,, but there's certainly no point in complaining afterwards. My dads got one after his replacement hip operation never worked out for the best. I cycle with him and the usual dad v/s son competitions often come about. Its just a bit of fun as he laughs at me struggling to keep up with him on the hills. At the end of the day we both know we wouldn't be cycling together if it wasn't for his ebike. For him the ebike has given him, the chance to continue to cycle in his later years and help him exercise his body gently. For me it gives me a good work out trying to keep up with him on the hills, and Most importantly its given us that precious time again to continue to cycle together just like what we did many years ago. E bikes are an amazing invention and are brilliant for people who struggle with there health. They also come in very handy here on the hilly roads of Wales. Whether its an e bike or ordinary bike i would much rather see these than dam cars on the road. I personally quite enjoy trying to keep up with an Ebike. It gives me a work out and gives a small grin factor if i can get past. Cycling is all about enjoyment and freedom ,and that goes for all types of cyclists and bikes.
Your Dad knows the benefits of working his body, I consider my old friend to be more the type that would climb Everest from the comfort of a sedan chair.

Levo-Lon

Guru
That is a fair point.

My partner has an e-bike and it has made us cycling together a much more enjoyable sociable experience. I hold back on the flats, she holds back on the hills and we both get chance to have a look at the scenery.

same here, though we both have them now,as i have her old trek " small mans frame"
its great fun and her cycling is now fun again ,best thing ever for Her.
i still love my bikes but E-biking is here to stay and ill be investing in a FS mtb in time

Alan O

Über Member
If it sounds like a complaint then it confirms me as the curmudgeonly git I see in the mirror when I shave. It is not meant to be a complaint, I thought it strange that I would be prickled by riding in company to someone propelled by an electric motor. I asked if anyone else had experienced riding as a twosome when the other bike was battery powered.
OK, fair enough.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
At least he is out riding - it's better than sat on a couch puffing the ciggys.

I've been out with a few eMTB riders - yes you get hammered on the hills, but on the flat. downhill nope. One lad mentioned he used to have an eMTB but get fed up waiting at the top of hills for his mates so sold it once he got fit enough.

If it means someone can get out, then fair enough. You (we) are lucky enough to still be fit enough to ride bikes without assistance - some folk think I'm incredible for riding 30 miles on my MTB - why, it's just something I do (just like everyone on this forum) - but to Mr/Mrs Average, 30 miles seems like an impossible achievement.

I've been passed by eMTB's at trail centres - I've been there chewing my handlebars trying really hard up a climb, no-one passing me, then I see two bikes catching really quickly. I think 'they must be very fit or....' ah.. as the whir of the motor is heard. Some folk get very upset, but I just said 'oh, give us a tow', they laughed.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
OP - Sounds like the bike is illegal under EU laws. If you're really upset why not inform the gendarmerie nationale. ^_^

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I put this together today. Its for a mate. He wants me to try it out Friday morning. Cant say i am really looking forward to it. But i will give it a go. I think there is 4 of us going for a30 mile ride. Will let you know how i get on.
View attachment 446556

I would love to try one out, just so I know what to look forward to when I am old (unless they get banned by then). However, I would need one with pedals because as a minimum I need somewhere to rest my feet.

Top Bottom