The strange business of sharing a bike ride with someone using an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I put this together today. Its for a mate. He wants me to try it out Friday morning. Cant say i am really looking forward to it. But i will give it a go. I think there is 4 of us going for a30 mile ride. Will let you know how i get on.
View attachment 446556
That looks like it has a beefy battery.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think a lot of contributors have not realised it not a normal ebike OP is talking about.
A normal ebike riding companion shouldn't be a problem alongside a normal roadbike, one will gain at one end of the spectrum, the other at the opposite end.
But the ebike in OPs story is far from a normal ebike...and its rider sounded like a tit as well.

After seeing this post I read the OP twice and now realise the bike wasn't an ebike - even though it was named an ebike. The machine, whatever it is, sounds like one of those very small moped like things I used to see teenagers riding in France - possibly 40 years ago.

As this occured six months ago I can't help but feel the OP has spent a long time simmering away over a very minor event. That seems very odd to me.

After seeing this post I read the OP twice and now realise the bike wasn't an ebike - even though it was named an ebike. The machine, whatever it is, sounds like one of those very small moped like things I used to see teenagers riding in France - possibly 40 years ago.

As this occured six months ago I can't help but feel the OP has spent a long time simmering away over a very minor event. That seems very odd to me.
No, no, the summer down here hangs around into early October. It was still in the low 20's Celsius when my friend was over and no his bike wasn't combustion powered it was powered by a 48 volt >400W motor.
Those mopeds you refer to are probably Solex, various vehicle rallies pass my place during the summer months as the tiny lane is in a very picturesque area. One of them is a huge Solex rally with hundreds of the buzzing things passing followed by support vehicles, it is a great spectacle to watch but not as spectacular as the vintage sports car rally in June.

Slick

Guru
I didn't read all you replies but this made me laugh out loud. :laugh::laugh:

About 5km in I began to feel irritated at the smug face and total lack of effort on his part which caused me to put some serious effort in from then on. It might have helped if he had at least pretended to pedal the thing

Probably because I recognise the feeling ever since I bought one for Mrs Slick and I'm now left huffing and puffing on most of the hills but unlike you, I actually enjoy watching the e-bike smile develop on her face. I would buy one for myself in a heart beat as they are amazing machines and fantastic fun but unfortunately I'm very much still at the stage where I need to pedal. I do take some solace in the fact that she is restricted on the flat and can't keep up with me.:okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Overlapping wheels - the front wheel of the rider behind overlapping your rear wheel.

This tends to cause you to speed up, the rider behind does the same, and you have a vicious circle - any notion of smooth and steady progress is lost.

Even more irritating if there's more than two of you.
That's overlapping and is dangerous (either rider swerving will cause a spectacular crash or two or more), not only irritating.

Half-wheeling is riding with your front wheel half a wheel ahead of that of the rider alongside. Less dangerous but as written above, difficult not to accelerate beside.

Top Bottom