The strange business of sharing a bike ride with someone using an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
I ride with my wife on occasion and she has an e-bike. But she's more of a pootler, so the e-bike is great. I can ride at what I refer to as a sociable pace (14mph-ish), and she doesn't feel like she's pushing it at that pace. Win-win for all. Although, if I am on my carbon bike, I do race her uphill. Sometimes I win, sometimes she does.

Hi what is half wheeling ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi what is half wheeling ?

Overlapping wheels - the front wheel of the rider behind overlapping your rear wheel.

This tends to cause you to speed up, the rider behind does the same, and you have a vicious circle - any notion of smooth and steady progress is lost.

Even more irritating if there's more than two of you.

The impact of the half wheeler is transferred down the line, spoiling the ride for everyone.

You might think the rider being half wheeled could simply ignore the half wheeler, but that is surprisingly difficult.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks, never heard it before and I have been riding bikes since1956.

It's of most relevance to brisk, road club riding.

If you are bowling along at 8-10mph on a cycle path with the wife and kids, half wheeling doesn't really apply.

But it does make a difference if you are in a tight group trying to maintain 15mph or more on the road.

mustang1

Guru
The way I deal with half wheelers is slow right down until they get annoyed that I'm not going fast enough then I get in front of them and repeat the process. :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not cut off, is that legal?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A mate of mine has just ordered the Ribble Ebike, He really struggles on hills, I am looking forward to riding with him, It means i will not have to wait for him on the hills. But i don't think he will keep up on the flat or downhill. could be interesting. Also looking forward to having a go on it, It's being delivered to me, as i will put it together for him.
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-endurance-sl-e/

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry that you were upset, but I cannot see any reason or you to be, looks like you spoilt a nice ride for yourself.
I'd kind of agree but spin it that the ride should never really have taken place. Waste of time. Someone round here has something that sounds similar, I reckon it does maybe 30 mph...extraordinarily fast for a hybrid that's not pedalling. Waste of time even trying riding alongside something like that.

I mix my riding up between a normal roadbike and a hybrid ebike and love what they both offer. With normal cutoff at 15.5 mph, a 20 mile loop is done in around the same time....but the ebike is easier UP TO 15.5 obviously, anything beyond, it's harder. So with an average rider on a normal bike, the pace would be roughly the same overall.

chriscross1966

Über Member
A couple of the older guys in my club (a mixed bunch of folders and Moultons) use electrified bikes... and it's good that they do as they wouldn't keep up otherwise

Top Bottom