The strange business of sharing a bike ride with someone using an electric bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hopey

That's incredibly nice of you, she is so lucky. :whistle:

Hah, I can see how that sounds. Any big purchase has to be okayed by both of us. That's why I don't have a mountain bike yet :highfive:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
We have a Monday group that goes out for 50-60 mile rides. One member has an ebike, a road version, which is limited to 15mph and the motor is hardly audible. I don't understand the fuss from the OP.

We have a great time with a friend who couldn't otherwise join us. We take the mick, sometimes we push it to 18 to make him work but generally we ride at 15-16. Yesterday 56 miles and 2700 feet we averaged 14mph. On tough climbs we get to chase him down :laugh:

We're all retired, it's great fun!!

Alan O

Über Member
Have you been foolish enough to go on a ride with someone who is riding an ebike and if so did you enjoy the ride?
Yes, very much so, and I enjoy it every time. And I think you're just plain wrong if you see it as a competition.

E-bikes are excellent for helping older and less abled folk to keep enjoying cycling with their friends for a lot longer than they could manage on ordinary bikes, and the groups I cycle with welcome them. I've been out riding with a number of friends for whom it would be impossible without their e-bikes, the oldest being a few years past 80.

Am I peeved when, at my sprightly age of a mere 60, my 80+ yo friend overtakes me with a buzz on the hills? Absolutely not, I'm just delighted to still have his company on our rides.

If you denigrate e-bike riders, you're just a snob, in my view.

However, riding with someone who has a motor brought out the worst in me

You said it.

Last edited:
I found your description of your reaction to the affair quite funny. I now just want to go and hire an e-bike and go for a ride with some half-wheelers I know. And, I'll smoke a cigar as soon as I'm out front doing my bit of pulling and the downwind is in my favour. I may even plug in an iPod and pretend not to hear those bastard half-wheelers when they complain about my "accidental" micro-accelerations every now and then. I'll definitely fit some sort of irritating electronic beep too, possibly one with chicken sounds or a Model T honk. I think I'll even take some extra clothing and ask someone, mid-ride, if they don't mind carrying it for me.

On the other hand, if I find myself in the reverse situation I'll make literal the metaphoric term "piss on his battery".

Heckler

The proper ones require effort.you must peddle to move..
And after 15mph there bloody hard work.

That is a fair point.

My partner has an e-bike and it has made us cycling together a much more enjoyable sociable experience. I hold back on the flats, she holds back on the hills and we both get chance to have a look at the scenery.

I found your description of your reaction to the affair quite funny. I now just want to go and hire an e-bike and go for a ride with some half-wheelers I know. And, I'll smoke a cigar as soon as I'm out front doing my bit of pulling and the downwind is in my favour. I may even plug in an iPod and pretend not to hear those bastard half-wheelers when they complain about my "accidental" micro-accelerations every now and then. I'll definitely fit some sort of irritating electronic beep too, possibly one with chicken sounds or a Model T honk. I think I'll even take some extra clothing and ask someone, mid-ride, if they don't mind carrying it for me.

On the other hand, if I find myself in the reverse situation I'll make literal the metaphoric term "piss on his battery".
Take your phone and engage in a lengthy conversation with a friend while occasionally taking hands of the bars to have a yawn and stretch ^_^

Yes, very much so, and I enjoy it every time. And I think you're just plain wrong if you see it as a competition.

E-bikes are excellent for helping older and less abled folk to keep enjoying cycling with their friends for a lot longer than they could manage on ordinary bikes, and the groups I cycle with welcome them. I've been out riding with a number of friends for whom it would be impossible without their e-bikes, the oldest being a few years past 80.

Am I peeved when, at my sprightly age of a mere 60, my 80+ yo friend overtakes me with a buzz on the hills? Absolutely not, I'm just delighted to still have his company on our rides.

If you denigrate e-bike riders, you're just a snob, in my view.

You said it.
Oh yes I am a snob but not where cycling is concerned. I don't think my friend was actually cycling if you consider cycling as an exercise where the legs are spinning pedals.

gbb

Legendary Member
That's not a proper Ebike.

The proper ones require effort.you must pedle to move..
And after 15mph there bloody hard work.
I think a lot of contributors have not realised it not a normal ebike OP is talking about.
A normal ebike riding companion shouldn't be a problem alongside a normal roadbike, one will gain at one end of the spectrum, the other at the opposite end.
But the ebike in OPs story is far from a normal ebike...and its rider sounded like a tit as well.

Top Bottom