The sudden realisation of getting older lol :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Applies to bikes as well.

I have a few from the 90s, one bought new. These turn up on retrobike and are described as vintage in some places. When I was a kid a "vintage" car was something only an exhaust fart from the things that run to Brighton every year on the ride I started.

People saying something is retro when it is not, i.e. It is an original from said era does annoy me.

and becoming aware of what MILF means.
according to Danny Baker, constrained by daytime radio, mother in law fantasy.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm sure that there are still a lot of old amps working perfectly but 'capacitor plague' was a significant problem. A company that I worked for had a recall programme to swap out boards with unreliable capacitors on. Some poor technician had the unenviable job of desoldering thousands of dodgy caps and replacing them with good ones.
Yep both of mine have been home to the factory for servicing but considering they were built in the very early 70s it's not bad going. More problematic is the preamp/control unit, the old 33 suffers from selector button woes and whilst QUAD can generally get em going again replacement is not an option.

I solved this by buying a 44 a few years ago. There is a guy in Leicester (well he was but then he moved to Littlethorpe) who deals in Vintage HiFi, mainly valve amps, and after I received some unexpected cash I gave Paul a ring and he had a 44 for sale. I was after the early Mk1as most of the leads plugged into the 33 would swap over and that was what he thought he'd got so I agreed on a price with him and arranged to go over after a couple of days (He hadn't seen it for a while so he had to have a look for it)
When I got there he'd got it out and plugged it in but it 'hummed' a bit through his set-up and it was a Mk11 (we thought) but in pristine nick with the box/packing/manual/mains lead etc. but he let me have it for the price we had agreed despite it being the later one which is worth a bit more (at the time (£300-£325 as opposed to the £225-£250 an early one fetched)

Anyway I got it home and rang QUAD to order a couple of plugs/leads for it and to enquire about getting it serviced if the hum persisted in my set-up to be told I'd have to change the power leads to the 303 but they'd get their 44 expert to ring me back once he came in. It turned out that mine wasn't a Mk11 but was the very rare Mk3 of which they only made around 3,500 and what had happened was EU electrical regs had changed and the earthing had to be altered from the original design of a 'double insulated' construction where the power amps were earthed through the mains connection on the back of the preamp to a 'bonded earth' where the signal lead earthed the poweramp, this dual earth had caused the hum but it meant that the 2 wire power leads to my 303s were the ones to use with just new plugs for the back of the control unit needed.

The good bit about this is my pre-amp is worth close on £500 as they don't come up for sale very often and more importantly for me is that they're one of the last products made in Huntingdon before IAG moved production wholly to China. :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 26715

As a kid I was always being told to act my age. Fortunately I still haven't done as I was told!
You might have hit the nail on the head there, I've finally started to act my age, the age that I was when my mam first told me to that is.
My brain still says I'm still a teenager & invincible, my body is now telling me to stop being so silly & listen to it

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son is 18 today, and he's not bought his old fella a legal beer.

subaqua

What’s the point
The last time I browsed around a record store, a spotty-faced young assistant asked "Can I help you, Sir?" Suddenly I didn't feel very rock-n-roll at all.
My answer if looking at vinyl is “ if you are older than my original vinyl copy of this then maybe “ most of time gets a great reaction and discussion on tracks . It’s good to see youngsters get same from albums as me.

Top Bottom