The Training Shoe Phenomenon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Now I've only ever used trainers for training never really liked them for leisure, as a kid i prefered monkey boots, good leather shoes and baseball type boots, plimsolls were for gym ect

We now have people spending a small fortune on them as a must have fashion.

Now a cycling shoe fashion must have i could understand :laugh: and have helped keep various shoe manufacturers in business :smile:

What would you pay for a pair of trainers? are they your go to shoe...
I'll pay upto £100+ for a good shoe but 8000 for a trainer:laugh:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Last weekend we saw a queue right up the street from a shoe shop in the Northern Quarter of Manchestah. I strolled up to a bunch of scary looking black kids (who looked a bit shocked to be approached by a middle aged white bloke) and asked, to be told the shop was about to sell a skate shoe they all wanted to buy. I should have asked how much they expected to pay really.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a pair of trainers, they are maybe 2-3 years old and cost £40 or less (can't remember, but definitely not more than that).
They get worn perhaps a half-dozen times a year so should last me quite a while before I need to worry about queuing up for replacements :whistle:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The most I'd pay for trainers is £60. A colleague's husband makes some money by keeping an eye out for limited edition trainers, buys them up and sells them when there's none left in the shops, anything between £200 and £800. I think for the really expensive ones you're paying for the relative rarity rather than the trainer itself.

As a lad, I remember the Nike Air Max were 60 or 70 quid; 3 times what a nomral trainer was. They were the fasionable ones to have. I was thrilled one time when I was about 10 and I spent all birthday and christmas money and nabbed a pair of nike airs in the sale for £35 (in 1991). They were very comfy I'll give them that.

There are definately some trainers that are training shoes, and some that are fasion shoes. I've bought fasion trainers before and I couldn't even play badminton in them, they were so uncomfortable and unssuportive. Yet I paid £30 for a pair of Karrimoor trainers and they are the most confortable footwear I've ever had. They are my dry weather hiking shoes too, and show no signs of wear after many miles walking and going through the washing machine.

AndyRM

XOXO
I suppose I fall into the category of buying for fashion, sort of, as I go for aesthetics rather than brand. The most I've ever paid is £60, which seems reasonable as generally I get a good few years out of a pair.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I suppose I fall into the category of buying for fashion, sort of, as I go for aesthetics rather than brand. The most I've ever paid is £60, which seems reasonable as generally I get a good few years out of a pair.

A fair price for what essentially is often a quality shoe.

Smudge

Veteran
I wont pay more than £30 for trainers. I'm long past caring about the latest must have trainer. Recently bought these discounted to £22 with a code.

https://www.reebok.co.uk/ridgerider...Reebok-EMEA-eCom-Affiliates-drytinder-UK-1901

Dave7

Legendary Member
I buy for comfort and think £60ish is the max I would pay. The last pair were just £20 in a sale.
My son buys special editions and collects them as an investment. I dont share his confidence but what do I know?

Smudge

Veteran
I also like trainers to be reasonably tough and have good enough soles & tread for cycling, dog walking etc. I wont buy those lightweight jobbies that are only any good for using in a gym.
My last pair were classic Hi Tec Silver Shadows, that you can still get. They look a bit naff but are supremely comfortable and i got years of use out of them. They were only around £20 when i bought them.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I wont pay more than £30 for trainers. I'm long past caring about the latest must have trainer. Recently bought these discounted to £22 with a code.

https://www.reebok.co.uk/ridgerider-trail-4.0-shoes/DV6321.html?clickref=1101l7zqyoLB&cm_mmc=ReebokAffiliates_PHG:tired:drytinder:tired::tired::tired:dv:eCom:tired:cn:BAU:tired:pc:generic&cm_mmc1=UK&cm_mmc2=Reebok-EMEA-eCom-Affiliates-drytinder-UK-1901

How are you on Five Ten?
I got a pair of flats in 2012 for about £50 in a cycle shop sale "rutland' ,then went SPD a yr later, still got the 5-10s but hate flats, and don't find them very comfy.
Guy Martin lives in his :laugh:
The 5-10 brand are just a trainer with a grippy sole, but cost a fair old wedge.

Smudge

Veteran
How are you on Five Ten?
I got a pair of flats in 2012 for about £50 in a cycle shop sale "rutland' ,then went SPD a yr later, still got the 5-10s but hate flats, and don't find them very comfy.
Guy Martin lives in his :laugh:
The 5-10 brand are just a trainer with a grippy sole, but cost a fair old wedge.

Cant say i've ever tried them. But i cannot wear flat soled trainers, like Converse, Vans, etc. I have to have instep support for them to be comfortable for me.

Top Bottom