The truth hurts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
My wife and I both park our cars in the garage along with our road bikes. Any junk that we no longer use gets thrown away, why on earth store it?
Just in case, or it might come in handy would be my guess. :stop:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Doing the school run - or walk - this morning, one of the Mums in the playground complaining that someone had hit her car overnight, causing minor damage, and then legged it.

I asked her why she filled her double garage full of worthless rubbish but left her £45,000 Range Rooney Sport (not to mention her husbands X5M) parked at the kerbside if she was so bothered?

I still don't think she gets it.
Maybe, just maybe, she didn't want anyone to cause minor damage to her worthless rubbish? I know I'd kick off if someone dented the cardboard packaging on that item I can't quite recognise and has been on that middle shelf in the garage since Christmas 2008 and that's for damn sure!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Actually I think it shows where their priorities lie and highlight their inability to sacrifice anything to get to where they need to be. Costs involved with running an average car could quite easily cover a mortgage, albeit for a longer period.
You really think so?
OK, let's crunch some numbers.
Assuming these grown up children run a £28000 Golf GTI, pay £3000 a year on insurance and servicing, and change it every three years, losing 50% to depreciation each time.
They drive 12000 miles a year at, what, 30 mpg and fuel at £6 per gallon - £2500 a year.
I make that £10500 a year. That average house price is £ 220 000.

That's at least 20 years of not running a car to buy the house, on my somewhat exaggerated figures.
Assuming that house prices don't go up faster than you're saving. Which they do.

Slick

Guru
You really think so?
OK, let's crunch some numbers.
Assuming these grown up children run a £28000 Golf GTI, pay £3000 a year on insurance and servicing, and change it every three years, losing 50% to depreciation each time.
They drive 12000 miles a year at, what, 30 mpg and fuel at £6 per gallon - £2500 a year.
I make that £10500 a year. That average house price is £ 220 000.

That's at least 20 years of not running a car to buy the house, on my somewhat exaggerated figures.
Assuming that house prices don't go up faster than you're saving. Which they do.
I meant in terms of monthly cost.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am sometimes amused at the people who live at home in their late twenties and cannot get a deposit together, but somehow expect to be able to pay all the bills once they get that 110% mortgage.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
How much house could you get with your £10500 mortgage?
You could borrow about £140000 (if I've used the mortgage sites right)
Still need to save a deposit though. And walk everywhere for the next 25 years

EDIT - where I live, that wouldn't get you a one bedroom flat.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
You could borrow about £140000 (if I've used the mortgage sites right)
Still need to save a deposit though. And walk everywhere for the next 25 years
So, it can be done if you are willing to sacrifice something? You could always buy that golf gti later on.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
We cross posted.
£140 000 won't get you a one bedroom flat where I live.
You might get a shared ownership place for £120000, so you've still got to rent the other half.
Or you might get a studio flat.
Golf GTI is suddenly looking more attractive.

screenman

Legendary Member
We cross posted.
You might get a shared ownership place for £120000, so you've still got to rent the other half.

Where you live is the line that stands out.

Slick

Guru
We cross posted.
Which is why some have a home and some don't.

Top Bottom