The unicorn has appeared for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm 6' 1" but only have a 32" inside leg measurement. I chose my bike size (58 cm) for reach - it is easy to raise or lower a saddle!

I have ridden a 60/61 cm bike before now (forget which size it was) and that was fine with a slightly shorter stem (10 or 11 cm vs 13 or 14 cm).

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I won't be able to with SRAM, the road mech will only take up to 32 as far as I know. I'm not fussed on having 11 speed, most of my miles are done on a bike with 10 speed Rival

I bet the mech will accommodate 2 extra teeth if you need/want it to. I like my 34x34 bottom gear and I'm considering looking at even bigger cassettes when this one wears out. It's worth bearing in mind if you do decide to go to 11 speed although, as you say, 10 speed is perfectly adequate.

I only "upgraded" to Ultegra when my previous Chorus groupset needed another expensive bit replacing plus I wanted to get rid of my Hope V Twin and use brake cylinders integral with the shifters.

I forgot to say earlier, congrats on the new purchase :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the most important think
does it leave a trail of unicorn poo?
1637858946088.png

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Only a 3 hour drive away?
If it’s available, go and get it, do the sensible thinking about it when it’s yours. 😀👏👏
Each way! Plus have you seen the cost of petrol! :crazy:

it’s mine and on its way with Parcelforce, be here Tuesday :becool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Its decent price for 11 speed, compared to equiv Shimano (and much cheaper than SRAM ones) plus once you've seen the light switched to a Miche cassette, you only need to replace the worn sprockets, not the entire cassette, as its generally only the teeth on the middle sprockets that get worn, so with regular cassettes you bin the whole thing for the sake of ~3 worn sprockets. Miche cassettes are all individual sprockets and spacers, not a big bonded lump.

As you've hinted above the cheaper option may be to swap in 10 speed off another bike and sell that with the Ultegra triple set up on it - whilst you or your LBS is changing one bike they may as well do two - might not cost too much extra. I'm not sure what is more attractive when selling that bike, Shimano triple or SRAM double, depends on buyer I guess, but if its a frame that could be used as a tourer, then a triple might edge it.

If you spread your miles out over your stable of bikes things wear less quickly...i.e.
I only run 11 spd on one bike, the best road bike, which doesn't get ridden in winter, as no guards, so the replacement cassette issue doesn't come around too often & KMC 11psd chains are cheap enough in "normal" times. The do-it-all gravel / winter road / light tourer seems to gets ridden the most and its 10 spd and has 2 sets of wheels.

Being nerdy I'd I've just checked veloviewer year to date stats, I have done a smidge over half my miles on the gravel bike, c20% on the best road bike and 30% on one or other vintage steel bikes - the balance of those is normally reversed, but I had a shifter break on the best road bike so rode my steel ones more whilst I got that sourced and replaced, and one of the steel bikes I bought & did up this year, so it got more attention!
I’ve ordered one of these in case I do go 11 speed
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/105-cs-r7000-11-speed-11x32-cassette/_/R-p-X8387036?mc=8387036
Less than the Miche one
(And a chain)
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/11-speed-bike-chain/_/R-p-300692?mc=8404869

Top Bottom