The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
An expensive week for the H house, after sailing through an MOT with a lower swingarm bush advisory....the fuel pump died stranding me(luckily) not too far from home. £700 sheckles later and a new pump installed along with the bushes.
It drives and feels much tighter with no knocking....pleased but poorer. Bugger:blush:

This image appeared on my Facebook this morning
I saved it, but can’t remember what page it was from

The tagline was something along the lines of
'Remember When Volvos Were Big Cars?!’
One response was 'They Still Are, Modern Cars Are Just Fat' :rofl:

IMG_7399.jpeg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Monday 2nd

They might be built for a Scandinavian winter, but lack of care still strikes in the end

York Road/A64
Leeds

View attachment 708540

View attachment 708541

How old ? Dont see a lot of rust on modern cars these days. Only ones I do see rust in funnily enough out of the modern cars are VWs !

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Serious question......2012 D5 engine - when does the cambelt need changing - I had the (mis) fortune of having the alternator/auxiliary belt let go in France 2 days before I was due to drive home - fortunately the local village garage had one in stock and sorted it out within 2 hours on a Friday afternoon, but when does the internal main timing belt need changing?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
OTTOMH 10 years and/or c100K whichever comes first. So yes, it needs doing if it's on its original :smile: Ours (2012 D5 by coincidification) was done at 96K a number of years ago by the original owner.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, 10 years or 105k, whichever comes first, aux belt every 5 years or 50k. If the aux belt goes it can wipe out the cam belt and wreck the engine. Use only Volvo belts for that reason - if your French spanner twirler didn't use genui e then get it replaced.

Volvo only replace the water pump every 2nd belt change - its an all metal item with a metal impeller and SKF bearings, and failure is essentually h heard of so this is a sensible period. People try and be clever and replace the pump as well, but if you don't use a genuine Volvo pump you're actually increasing the chance of having problems, not decreasing it - pattern pumps don't have a good record on the D5 family of engines.

C70 now SORNd for winter. When we move ill have a bigger garage so I'll get a carcoon for it.

Top Bottom