the worst gig you ever went to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
milo said:
4358565557_beb23544f3_o.jpg

Looks like a serial killer.

yes, he does look oatso simple...;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There was a thread on this last September, and I copy here my answer then:
Not exactly worst gig, cos actually I had a fantastic time! I was hitching round Ireland (as you did back then), it was 1986. Got to Galway and chanced upon the Galway Mod/Scooter festival. Holed up in a B&B, went along to the venue, got chatting and got very merry with some superbly friendly and entertaining Irish mods. One of the bands was Irish ska/reggae outfit "Too Much For the White Man"... the music was as shite as the name! I think one of the members went on to form the Saw Doctors, who I kind of like a bit.

Norm

trj977 said:
+1 Utter tosh, never was a fan but somebody had a spare ticket! They were at least half way through "Dont You Foget About Me" before I knew what the hell the song was. Simply dreadfull.
The stepladder. *shudders*

Harbornite

Strange that a few of the same bands feature more than once ;)

Jesus & Mary Chain - Lanch (Cov) Poly 85 ' ish. My mate was involved in the booking; due to the bands general liking of walking off after 10 minutes, they were contracted to play a minimum of 30 minutes. You could've set your watch by them, they dropped their guitars as soon as the time was up.

Venom - B'ham Odeon 85. Dreadful, devil worship inspired, early thrash. Highlight was a five minute speed bass solo against the back drop of a giant goats head with smoke coming from its nose, sadly there was nothing left for the audience to launch at them - everything had been thrown at the support band the Red Beards From Texas; it was the only time I have seen phlegm & cigarette ends dripping from an oversize sponge Stetson:wacko:.

Simply Red -NEC Mid 90's. Like watching a DVD of a poor cover band but unable to find the remote, walked out after 40 minutes.

Cubist

Still wavin'
What year did Steel Pulse play Reading? I only really remember them getting canned off the stage. Must have been late 70's 'cos we still had proper beer cans to throw. ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The bikers, mistakenly in my view, saw off Steel Pulse on the Friday in 1983 with bottles of piss. I guess it was still the late seventies in '83 given that the sixties clearly finished late.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The Who at Reading in 72, underwhelming, sound problems, Keith Moon flicking his drumsticks at the off-stage crew.
Or possibly a support act (Marianne was perhaps the name) last year. Woman we'd seen previously wandering around the foyer in a dayglo pink custume introduces herself and her eponymus band: "I am Marianne...we are all Marianne." And then proceeded to play Norwegian glum - no angst, just glum.
But then there was the Cardiff music festival with wetly earnest folk singers and a British band playing pub-cajun.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Happiness Stan said:
An act called Skafish who were supporting The Police at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1980. Instead of ska they played a kind of demented US punk a la Devo but without the humour. It prompted a barrage of bottles, cans, 2litre PET bottles of piss and rotten fruit which was quite terrifying as I was near the front and received a fair few of the short ranged missiles.
One of my brothers went to the same gig, I'll ask him if he remembers them - my Mum wouldn't let me go 'cos I was too young :eek:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Dire Straits at Earl's Court, a long time ago, when they played a lot of Brothers in Arms songs. It would have been so good in a pub, but in a big venue it was just ghastly. Awful.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The Stone Roses Manchester Apollo circa 91/2 Not that great a gig and one of the guys with us was acting like a total pr*ck. Totally ruined the do for everyone else in our group. Shame because i do like a lot of their music.

Cubist

Still wavin'
slowmotion said:
Dire Straits at Earl's Court, a long time ago, when they played a lot of Brothers in Arms songs. It would have been so good in a pub, but in a big venue it was just ghastly. Awful.
1983, Sheffield City Hall. Dire Straits. So pissed he forgot the lyrics to Sultans of Swing FFS.

Cubist

Still wavin'
GregCollins said:
The bikers, mistakenly in my view, saw off Steel Pulse on the Friday in 1983 with bottles of piss. I guess it was still the late seventies in '83 given that the sixties clearly finished late.
That'll be it then. Sorry, the few years either side of 1980 dissolve into a haze of euphoric false memories and patchouli oil on leather.......;)

Top Bottom