There are some greedy, selfish barstewards around.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Fully agree. Can't see them being arrested for it though.
No me neither. I think it is technically theft but not something I would not have liked to have persued.

vickster

Legendary Member
How can you be prosecuted for stealing something that is being given away for free, other than by the morality and ethics police? :scratch:
Just put a note saying please only take 2 items per person or whatever

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've left my old turbo trainer outside my house for the last week and no one has took it
Every year at the car rally they used to steal the wooden log supports from under my boat which were there to take the weight off the wheels. One year I left some empty jerry cans out which had small holes in them. The selfish sods left them as they were supposed to be stolen to save me the bother of taking them to the dump.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
At the start of the pandemic we had a free food issue here. It was put on Facebook and piled up outside one of the local hotels. Those who live on Facebook were down with their panzerwagons piling the stuff in. those of us who seldom look at FB knew nothing of this and I only got some bananas and a couple of other things because one of the volunteers found out about this and scraped together what was left and distributed it.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
How can you be prosecuted for stealing something that is being given away for free, other than by the morality and ethics police? :scratch:
I suggested that to him......a decent sized sign may help. I have my doubts though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes I would think so. You are explaining what you are willing to give away. Hopefully one of the guys with more recent police experience than I, can tell us. Its the sort of thing that would appear on a mock police exam paper.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Maybe the charities ought to get their own houses in order first, the number of charities CEO's on more than £200K a year is obscene.
One of the main reasons I hesitate to give. Plus I understand that only a tiny % of what you give reaches the target.

D

Deleted member 26715

One of the main reasons I hesitate to give. Plus I understand that only a tiny % of what you give reaches the target.
I'm sure there are a few where it's only a few % I'm sure I once read a report where the average was only around 40% the rest being used to support the charity itself.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm sure there are a few where it's only a few % I'm sure I once read a report where the average was only around 40% the rest being used to support the charity itself.

D

Deleted member 26715

Thank you for that clarification
Although I can't see how that is true as my nephew used to charge a charity 20% to collect the revenue, maybe the 15% quoted is what gets to the charity & not removed before.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sorry about the font size - I was on me phone. Anyway, a list of the top 7 UK charities:

St. John Ambulance: for every £1 spent, 87.3p goes on charitable activities, 10p is spent on fundraising, and 2.7p is spent on generating income.

Macmillan Cancer Support: 73p charitable activities, 24.4p fundraising, and 2.6p generating income.

Alzheimer’s Research UK: 66.1p charitable activities, 33.9p fundraising, and 0p generating income.

Marie Curie: 63p charitable activities, 27.9p fundraising, and 9.1p generating income.

Cancer Research UK: 60.7p charitable activities, 24p on fundraising, and 15.3p generating income.

Guide Dogs: 56p charitable activities, 40.2p fundraising, and 3.8p generating income.

British Heart Foundation: 26.2p charitable activities, 40.6p fundraising, and 33.2p generating income.

vickster

Legendary Member
A very good friend of mine works for Wateraid... :okay:

For every £1 you give, 74p is spent enabling people to transform their lives with clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene and 26p is spent on fundraising*

*as of 18/19 WaterAid annual report.

Top Bottom