There's good news and bad news...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Pete said:
I was told a similar tale by our maths master at school - about log tables (who else remembers log tables? ;)). The publishers used to print deliberate errors in the fourth decimal place, scattered around the tables, to catch the plagiarist. Of course this was way before the days of calculators, and no-one had access to a computer, so there was no way of checking up on this. He may have just been pulling our log leg.... :biggrin:

Log tables, there's lots of them outside mountain huts in Europe. Do you mean log tables, oh yes, failed my A level maths in 1976:ohmy::blush:

Pete said:
I was told a similar tale by our maths master at school - about log tables (who else remembers log tables? :o). The publishers used to print deliberate errors in the fourth decimal place, scattered around the tables, to catch the plagiarist. Of course this was way before the days of calculators, and no-one had access to a computer, so there was no way of checking up on this. He may have just been pulling our log leg.... :smile:

My school flogged me a Thornton slide rule (two n's :biggrin: ) to deal with the sticky topic of maths etc...
I preferred a ready reckoner to the log tables - they were not a very intresting read, apart from the coincidence of numbers:wacko:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
Oh no! You know what people are like, there'll be a friendly clique and a friedly clique, and it'll be all "we're better than you" and lead to factions and no doubt further war in the Middle East.....

Also, if the missing n happens to fall in the chest area, it might lead to misunderstandings as people stare hard to see if it's there or not...:ohmy:

can i reassure you that if you caught me looking arch it would not be for a missing (or otherwise) n… :smile::biggrin:;)

Tynan

Veteran
grrrr, insist you keep the wrong ones and the new ones, having misspelt shirts now will be comp for having to wait until winter 2008 to wear long sleeved tops

make my good one a short sleeve

sympathies you organising lot, you don't deserve this

lazyfatgit

Thanks for all the hard work in organising these, but i feel we should get them redone.

Although it might be easier to convince Mrs LFG that it was a great bargain got it ceap because of the typo.

Tynan

Veteran
reading the thread in full, am I right to think they've been sent out to people?

I really am reluctant to burden the chaps that organised this but we need to ask for a rerun as a group, not as individuals

Pete

I wonder whether this is the time and place for an erudite discussion of lipograms. With the idea of explaining to the puzzled observer that the text on the jersey is a lipogram in 'n'. Doesn't work, though, there are 'n's later on in the sentence.

For those who don't know what 'lipogram' means, Wiki is your friend.

longers

Legendary Member
Nice avatar Will :angry:.

mondobongo

Über Member
Will know you probably don't want to look at them at the mo, but any chance we could see a piccie of the black and orange please.

tomb1960

Will, this whole business must becoming the thorniest of thorns in your sides, thank you for all your huge efforts, but I really feel they should be redone!

OP
OP
Will1985

Will1985

Über Member
Here you are mondobongo - it is up on my flickr page too.
"Modelling" this one made me think how good this is too - it is tempting to go Rock Racing style with 2 different kit colours so I have a blue short sleeve with a black long sleeve to go over the top....so tempting :idea:

2223972552_c703bd3e4e.jpg

EDIT: Just seen my next post will be number 200....better make it a good one!

Tynan

Veteran
they're nice shirts all right

sympathies for this hassle when you were so close Will, let me know if I can help

take a firm line, mention disappointed peope that have been waiting for so long, and remember that those shirts are worthless to them regardless of what they say

all the best

Top Bottom