Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I can honestly say I never got any cuddles when playing rugby. Plenty of bruises though.

Basketball was just rugby indoors in my school, with a hoop so far up that I may as well have tried to hit the moon; not going to happen.

The fact I didn't care was probably a factor too.

So there's something that's bothered me for a long time: why teach sports at school if you're going to do it badly?
School sport taught me some vital life skills:

Never volunteer
Better to ask forgiveness than permission (to disappear)
Authority figures are good at turning a blind eye to the absence of awkward beggars
I do have some control over my life
Passive resistance is powerful
Avoid men who like an excuse for a bit of violence.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
What bothers me is that every safety briefing I have had includes "In the event of a fire, WALK to the nearest fire exit".

Yet every fire exit sign I have ever seen shows the dude legging it outta there like his ass is on fire and he knows where there is a bathtub full of water.
Friend of mine was a rep and stayed in lots of hotels. His first rule always was to follow the fire exit signs to check where they went. In one hotel they all led back to his room.

classic33

Leg End Member
What bothers me is that every safety briefing I have had includes "In the event of a fire, WALK to the nearest fire exit".

Yet every fire exit sign I have ever seen shows the dude legging it outta there like his ass is on fire and he knows where there is a bathtub full of water.
Double meaning to the sign.
Directing you to the exits,
and
It's important to leave as quick as possible(Don't hang around).

Double meaning to the sign.
Directing you to the exits,
and
It's important to leave as quick as possible(Don't hang around).

If I was in a burning building I'd need no encouragement whatsoever to not hang around.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On any online forum or Facebook page there is always somebody who will argue that black is definitely white or disagree with what looks like common sense remarks. While the best tactic is to ignore them somebody always seems unable to let the argument go and the language gets to the stage that the moderators just shut the thing down.
Having said that I should add that this forum is one of the more civilised ones.

Gunk

Guru
Having said that I should add that this forum is one of the more civilised ones.

very true, perhaps it’s because the majority of cyclists seem to be more liberal and reasonable in their views.

I’m on a couple of motorcycle forums and whilst the technical help is second to none, I avoid any threads on politics especially Brexit!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
very true, perhaps it’s because the majority of cyclists seem to be more liberal and reasonable in their views.

I’m on a couple of motorcycle forums and whilst the technical help is second to none, I avoid any threads on politics especially Brexit!
Reminds me of this iconic ad slogan:

1591439735879.png

I honestly believe that apart from a few super-intense alpha male types, people who ride bikes tend to be nice people.

PaulB

Legendary Member
That no one knows a supporter of a football team.

No you don't.

Think about it. Whenever you're describing someone, he (or she) is NEVER a supporter of Gruntchester Albion, no. He (or she), is ALWAYS a BIG supporter/fan of Gruntchester Albion.

Top Bottom