Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Why do people post in the retirement thread at stupid o'clock?

If the Japanese are so efficient then why have they only managed to vaccinate 4% of their population against COVID?

I asked Beautiful Wife about this. Apparently it's a combination of factors: the first wave was relatively small and dealt with by a lockdown. Then when the vaccine came along Japan was slow getting orders in, and they aren't producing any vaccines themselves. This is unfortunately common in Japan: things are often seen as problems for other countries until it affects Japan directly.

This has come back to bite them because many Japanese working in India have come back home now and brought the Indian variant with them.

Or perhaps they smugly thought it was a crock and it bit them on the arris

No, they didn't think it was nonsense: my father in laws medical clinic had a couple of cases early on and I heard how extensive the response was. On a local level it looks like they took it very seriously, but the upper levels seems to have got complacent. From experience this is a common pattern in Japan.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Why is a railway locomotive which can run on electricity or diesel called an electro-diesel but a car with a similar arrangement is called a hybrid?

mustang1

Guru
People are always in a hurry, even when they're on vacation. This causes accidents (incidents?) on the road and injuries/casualties.
General carelessness and non-responsibility; a not-my-fault attitude and unwillingness to see reason. Inabilaity to improve their thinking.
People accusing others of something they do themselves.

Why do I seem to end up in the supermarket behind the person who takes a long time to move things from the till into their trolley, picks the only bag of potatoes without a bar code so the cashier has to run off and replace it, then pays in cash, and decides to check all their small change to try and make the exact amount, gives over a couple of Euro too much then remembers another stash of 20c pieces: "Wait a second, I know it's in my other coat pocket", then check their change very carefully against the receipt and asks the cashier about a couple of details before repacking everything at the till and finally wandering out of the door?

Understand I'm not annoyed with these people, I just wonder why I always end up right behind them watching the people who joined the next door till after me sweep past and out of the door...

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Who in their right mind would call a child 'Lilibet'? It's ok as a toddler's name but they're going to get some real stick once they become a teenager.

Top Bottom