Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
No I didn't - I said 'actress' used to be used as a euphemism for 'prostitute'.
https://ageofsteam.wordpress.com/2009/06/08/naughty-victorian-words/

D

Deleted member 26715

Are you JRM as you seem just like him stuck in time at the beginning of the last century

Drago

Legendary Member
People that think we live in an ideal world, and don't understand the cold, hard, practical, physical reality of how things are. "Fair" isn't a commodity that nature, Darwimism, or imvading armies give two hoots about, so stop whittling about it.

The word actor used for actresses now, has only been used I`d say in fairly recent times. There have always been jokes made about the actress and the bishop etc. All I will say is that I must have been very naive because I never thought that an actress was a prostitute. In that list of Victorian saucy words I see that nancy was slang for backside. I dare not wish to know why. All I will say is that Charles Dickens had a Nancy in Oliver Twist and Nancy was my mother`s name. She would have been horrified to have known of the slang. Victorian times were Victorian times and whilst some values perhaps hold good, others such as these saucy words do not.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Sorry, the fact that I have a better knowledge of some Victorian English than you doesn't mean I'm stuck in 1900.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
No, at 01:52':15" of the movie you can see him there on clifff top..
In that case the start of the film, with him walking away from the cliff, was probably the end of the story!

Chris S

Legendary Member
Phaeton is just being bitchy at the moment. I'm beginning to think that Regulator has his arm stuck up the back of his jacket.

Top Bottom