Things you thought were true when you were a kid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I thought the Monkees were played by the Beatles

I also couldn't work out, when they said on the news that a man's body had been found (I grew up in Belfast, it happened a lot), what had happened to his arms, legs and head.

puddleglum

1. That if I were to hypothetically pick my nose, my head would cave in.
2. Pylons were Blackpool Tower's babies.
3. Dickie Mint lived behind my uncle's bookcase.
4. My grandmother had eyes in the back of her head.

gbb

Legendary Member
It never occured to me as a kid that Stevie wonder was blind.

I think i was in my late 20's when something was said about him, and i piped up 'WTF are you talking about ? Stevie wonder...blind...when did that happen then ?' :blush::blush:;):smile:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
magnatom said:
If you ate grass you'd wee milk..... I didn't.:smile:

:blush::laugh:;) thats awesome!!

I thought guerillas were gorillas who carried guns and were trained in warfare.

I used to think the same! Silverbacks with bandana's and AK-47's

also that if you sneezed with your eyes open they would pop out! for some reason I still tried to do it!

longers

Legendary Member
My sis was born in February and me in March. It took some time before I believed that I was older than her.

Fnaar being confused by coastal cows is making me smile.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I don't hear this expression so much on TV news these days, but they used to say something like "following the incident/crime on Monday, a man is helping Police with their enquiries."

So ... I used to think, that is very kind of him. :wacko::laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
As a kid, i always thought the Falklands were in Scotland somewhere :tongue:

(I seem to remember watching a program in the very early 70s about the islanders...just assumed they were up north)

puddleglum said:
2. Pylons were Blackpool Tower's babies.
4. My grandmother had eyes in the back of her head.

I got told those as well.

It wasn't just my grandmother though it extended to all people over a certain age.

I used to tell my sister and her friends that if cows didn't get milked every day they would explode :tongue:

OP
OP
G

Greedo

You've just solved something for me. I've always wondered what those things were. I always see them when driving down south to visit friends in Harrogate. I always see them around that neck of the woods and wondered what they were.

Call me thick but you don't get to see many gliders or people towing theirs in Glasgow!

tv1_o1.jpg

upsidedown said:
That those glider trailer things were for Giraffes.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I subconsciously decided it was always raining in Germany, as a result of only seeing it in black and white films. Even blue skies are grey, see?
Didn't manage to re-evaluate the assumption until I spent a week there, aged 14.
Still couldn't shake the idea that we were having exceptionally good weather.

Anyone on tv speaking german in sunlight was evidently in Austria really. Saw it in the sound of music, and its always sunny, just like Switzerland.

Not sure I've shaken this off yet:smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
When I was a kid we had a black and white TV. It was only a few years ago I watched a DVD and realised...
Clangers are not grey. They're pink.

Top Bottom