Things you thought were true when you were a kid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
When I was a kid we had a black and white TV. It was only a few years ago I watched a DVD and realised...
Clangers are not grey. They're pink.

The colour of Bagpuss was a bigger shock to me...

Landslide

Rare Migrant
That spinach really made you super-strong, just like Popeye. That we (myself and schoolmates, aged ~6) were reminded of this "fact" by such a figure of authority as a school dinner lady was all the evidence we needed. In order to test out our new found strength, 3 or 4 of us tried to kick down a door...

U

User482

I also believed that learning about oxbow lakes was very important...

Cathryn

Legendary Member
My mum told me that if I left empty cups and plates in my room it would attract spiders. It was only when I hit 20 that I realised she just wanted me to have a tidy room and had played on my deepest fears!

colly

Re member eR
When I was small and would go off to the local swimming pool almost everyday when it was hot, my Mum and or my nan would always get bothered if my costume was still damp. Saying stuff like......'Oooo ...you can't wear something damp you will get rheumatism/catch a cold/bad kidneys etc etc....:angry:

Even as a 7 yr old I couldn't work out why putting on a damp cossi for maybe 1 min before jumping into the pool would have any effect on me at all.

purpleR

Guru
I thought it was Easticle Bride (East Kilbride) until I was in my late teens. It still looks wrong to me whenever I see it written down.

OP
OP
G

Greedo

I believed when I was about 10 that when you went to secondary school courtesy of my mates big brother that every boy got the 'cold spoon test'

This was a test apparently that the school nurse did.

It involved standing in a line with the other guys from your class, pulling your trousers down and she'd hold a cold spoon to your scrotum. If you took a hard on you were GAY!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Top Bottom