Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
No one likes a grass.

Some cow does :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a chest infection/dry cough, not a blocked nose. When you offer me a menthol sweet, and I say 'no thank you', at least 3 times, as you 'demand' I have one, fark off.

Don't call me an awkward bugger when I've politely said 'no thank you' a number of times as it has no effect on my cough.

Just because you eat sweets and medicines like 'pop' (used to take immodium, then stuff to make you go to the loo, then swig Corvonia).

I have a chest infection/dry cough, not a blocked nose. When you offer me a menthol sweet, and I say 'no thank you', at least 3 times, as you 'demand' I have one, fark off.

Don't call me an awkward bugger when I've politely said 'no thank you' a number of times as it has no effect on my cough.

Just because you eat sweets and medicines like 'pop' (used to take immodium, then stuff to make you go to the loo, then swig Corvonia).

I have similar problems: When I have a cold the Asthma induced coughing can last for over a month, and doesn't go away with menthol sweets (or tea, which Germans think cures everything).

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Please can we have a few Christmas-free days?

Oh, apparently not - it is only 28th December but I have just seen an advertisement on TV urging shoppers to start saving for Christmas 2020 - now! :angry:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:okay:

Landsurfer

Veteran
If 81.9 % of the UK population are white why are 50% + of those people featuring in TV adverts non white ?
When did it become an "offence" to show people portrayed as couples in a tv advert to be of the same colour ?
Is unintentional racism involved or is colour blindness simply being accepted ?

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If 81.9 % of the UK population are white why are 50% + of those people featuring in TV adverts non white ?
When did it become an offence to show people portrayed as couples in a tv advert to be of the same colour ?
Oooo, go on then, I'll bite.
Please provide the evidence that it is an "offence" and that "50% +" of people in adverts are non white.

When did it become an offence to show people portrayed as couples in a tv advert to be of the same colour ?
Is unintentional racism involved or is colour blindness simply being accepted ?

If that is the case it could be down to a number of factors: one is that by representing people who differ from the norm (which varies by which society we are in) we show people within these groups that they are accepted, and a good thing too.

There is a theory that comes out of post-modernism, bear with me on this.

Part of post modern theory is that because there are no absolutes, everything can change. By saying something or showing something in media we can make it happen, or if you like, make it 'normal'. A lot of disciplines in universities are influenced by post-modern theory, and a lot of the people coming out of universities work in areas like advertising so it is likely that this will be reflected.

In the case above this means that by showing lots of people who aren't white, and by showing mixed race marriages as normal, this will become the new norm, and why not?

The dark side to this theory is the logical conclusion: if things happen because we "speak them into being" then words create reality. Therefore we must stop opinions that are damaging from being spoken. This sounds relatively benign, but in practice can lead to people who say things not considered "progressive" enough by a small minority, they will try and shut it down. In other words, in extreme cases, it can mean freedom of speech is in danger and people will be bullied, shouted down or arrested for saying the "wrong" things.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Oooo, go on then, I'll bite.
Please provide the evidence that it is an "offence" and that "50% +" of people in adverts are non white.
Like you i should have put the word offence in parenthesis, ..... watch a few ads see what you think ... give us a report ....

Landsurfer

Veteran
If that is the case it could be down to a number of factors: one is that by representing people who differ from the norm (which varies by which society we are in) we show people within these groups that they are accepted.

There is a theory that comes out of post-modernism, bear with me on this.

Part of post modern theory is that because there are no absolutes, everything can change. therefore, by saying something or showing something in media we can make it happen, or if you like, make it 'normal'. A lot of disciplines in universities are influenced by post-modern theory, and a lot of the people coming out of universities work in areas like advertising so it is likely that this will be reflected.

In the case above this means that by showing lots of people who aren't white, and by showing mixed race marriages as normal, this will become the new norm.

The dark side to this heory is the logical conclusion: if things happen because we "speak them into being" then words have power. Therefore we must stop opinions that are damaging from being spoken. This sounds relatively benign, but in practice can lead to people who say things not considered "progressive" enough by a small minority, they will try and shut it down. In other words, in extreme cases, it can mean freedom of speech is in danger and people will be bullied, shouted down or arrested for saying the "wrong" things.
Nail on the head moment, a better way of making my point than i could .... thank you

Top Bottom