Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I work on the one summer at a time principle. This summer is lost before it even starts so it could not get much worse.

It's a f*kj*r for sure, but we don't know that the summer is totally lost.

But possibly only one summer, is how we should always approach it.

The only moment we actually ever have, is the one right now.. :blush:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It's a f*kj*r for sure, but we don't know that the summer is totally lost.

But possibly only one summer, is how we should always approach it.

The only moment we actually ever have, is the one right now.. :blush:
Getting too deep for me. It should be only one summer lost but I have lost the last few summers being a full time carer and then recovering from loss. I am not longer young and take the view that if I do not do things now I never will because of age deterioration.
If stuck for something to read try the Secret Diary of Henrick Groen aged 84 1/4. He lives in a Dutch sheltered housing which I think would kill me pretty quickly but a realistic insight into ageing.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
1) Do you think that possibly this isn't the best time to be pulling every item off the shelf, handling it to examine the label then putting it back?

2) Whilst I'm trying to be patient and leave a 6 foot gap it means in turn that I'm blocking shelves which other people want to get at.

In the end I held my breath and quickly darted in to get what I needed. I could see that the lady was still dithering over her purchase (and handling the goods) by the time I had paid up and was leaving the shop.:wacko: I can't decide if I'm a bad person for having done this.:blush:

gavgav

Guru
1) Do you think that possibly this isn't the best time to be pulling every item off the shelf, handling it to examine the label then putting it back?

2) Whilst I'm trying to be patient and leave a 6 foot gap it means in turn that I'm blocking shelves which other people want to get at.

In the end I held my breath and quickly darted in to get what I needed. I could see that the lady was still dithering over her purchase (and handling the goods) by the time I had paid up and was leaving the shop.:wacko: I can't decide if I'm a bad person for having done this.:blush:
I had a go at a prat in Aldi, on Thursday. Stood by the milk, on his phone, texting. I politely enquired whether he’d like to move out of the way, he didn’t and so I forcefully told him to shift his arse out of the way. He did!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Why do some gay men pretend to be stupid? Do they associate it with being effeminate?

Sounds like a pretty dodgy assertion all round.

But if this is so, then why is lower intelligence, traditionally associated with the feminine, in the first place??

Is it because women have, over the centuries been taught that a lot of men can't cope with / don't like / feel threatened by intelligence in a woman??

And they should, therefore, 'dumb themselves down' in order to be liked, or to 'get on' in life..

Tbh, I have encountered this phenomena, over the years, but do still live in hope that these outdated ideas will pass..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is it because women have, over the centuries been taught that a lot of men can't cope with / don't like / feel threatened by intelligence in a woman??

And they should, therefore, 'dumb themselves down' in order to be liked, or to 'get on' in life..

Tbh, I have encountered this phenomena, over the years, but do still live in hope that these outdated ideas will pass..
I have met several intelligent women who still flip into dumb mode when they feel the need. I find it pretty irritating, but I agree that the blame for the behaviour really lies in patriarchal societies which have historically encouraged this sort of nonsense.

I met one very intelligent woman who gave me an intimidating tongue lashing detailing some of my many faults but I would have felt equally threatened if a very intelligent man had said the same things to me! :laugh:

As for things I'd like to say, but can't... Big respect to the NHS staff! Apart from clapping on my doorstep every evening, I can't send a message to all of them but I have one of my regular blood tests on Thursday and will make a point of thanking the nurse in person!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I have met several intelligent women who still flip into dumb mode when they feel the need. I find it pretty irritating, but I agree that the blame for the behaviour really lies in patriarchal societies which have historically encouraged this sort of nonsense.

I met one very intelligent woman who gave me an intimidating tongue lashing detailing some of my many faults but I would have felt equally threatened if a very intelligent man had said the same things to me! :laugh:

As for things I'd like to say, but can't... Big respect to the NHS staff! Apart from clapping on my doorstep every evening, I can't send a message to all of them but I have one of my regular blood tests on Thursday and will make a point of thanking the nurse in person!

I agree in some circumstances its very annoying, but what is more annoying to me, is that there are other circumstances, where that level of obsequiousness is required to keep a woman 'safe' from attack.

Either verbal, or even in some cases, physical.

There's a whole armoury of weapons, linguistic, and otherwise that can be used against 'wimmin' who are considered to be getting ideas 'above their station'.

I've experienced it first hand myself, many times.

Particularly in areas where someone's fragile ego, can't cope with the fact that I'm quite successful in 'trad' male areas of activity.

Thankfully I don't encounter it so much these days.

There's a certain glint in the eye, a carriage of frame ..
Or yes, even the occasional acerbic remark perhaps, that fairly swiftly puts an end to it.

But it's boring that it still happens nowadays, that I should have to have these 'defences' and that many younger women still have to do battle with these debilitating attitudes on a daily basis.

But - Yes flippin hurrah!!

for the NHS, all the staff, at all the levels, all the workers employing their skills, in so many vital fields.

Maybe we might value, the humble service a little more ongoing. :notworthy:

ColinJ

I agree in some circumstances its very annoying, but what is more annoying to me, is that there are other circumstances, where that level of obsequiousness is required to keep a woman 'safe' from attack.

Either verbal, or even in some cases, physical.

There's a whole armoury of weapons, linguistic, and otherwise that can be used against 'wimmin' who are considered to be getting ideas 'above their station'.
Women: Know Your Limits! :whistle:

ColinJ

"Dear passenger... If you notice a crack in the side of a plane as you are boarding, PLEASE mention it to someone BEFORE the plane breaks up in mid-air!" :whistle:

I just watched an episode of Air Crash: Disasters Uncovered. An amazing story of a plane losing a huge chunk of its fuselage in the skies high above Hawaii, but landed safely by the pilot 13 minutes later. Tragically, one member of the crew was sucked out of the hole in the plane and never found, but nobody else died.

A truly astonishing story. But then we were told that one of the passengers subsequently told investigators that she had noticed a split in the fuselage near the door as she was going on board, but didn't mention it to the crew...

My official response upon hearing that was - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

What was she thinking - "Oh, it is only a small crack, what harm could that possibly do"? :ohmy:

Top Bottom