Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I saw a young woman sun bathing in a bikini today. She had really white skin and ginger hair. I felt like warning her about the dangers of skin cancer.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I saw a young woman sun bathing in a bikini today. She had really white skin and ginger hair. I felt like warning her about the dangers of skin cancer.

We have a friend who had melanoma a decade ago - she still regularly sunbathes and often without sunblock. Sheer madness.

My daughter (40 years of age) went to school with a girl and they remained 'lifelong friends', she died at the age of 35 leaving 4 young children behind. She intensively used sunbeds for many years - she had one at home. About 10 years before she died she had melanoma and had quite a lot of tissue removed from the lower part of one leg plus chemo. Against all advice she carried on sunbathing and frequenting suntan parlours - she had rid herself of her own sunbed due to space considerations re her expanding family. After a long period of remission the melanoma returned and this time it was terminal.

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've made a return to cycling thanks to e-power.
Some years ago, I cursed a chap who overtook me on a hill on his ebike when he looked back and laughed as I struggled. I wished all manner of bad luck his way including a flat battery on his next climb miles from home.

On my way home today following my first real ride for some time I was following a chap on a mountain bike downhill. I was having to brake alot as my bike must weigh a ton compared to his. Then we went uphill. He put in a good effort I must say. Puffing and panting and realising his legs were dying he ran out of steam about a third of the way up and gave up. I kept a straight face till I'd left him behind a fair bit and then cracked up laughing.
To the chap today, I apologise for laughing.
To my former nemesis, I apologise for cursing you. I now know how you felt that day. :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
I commited the cardinal sin (i think)
My apologies to the cyclist i simply didn't see :eek:
I'd filtered onto a roundabout without the need to stop, there was plenty of room between me and the next vehicle on the r/a, i'd had many yards of clear visibility to see anything else that was there...or so i thought. As i exited that r/a, i looked in my rear view mirror and uttered to my wife...'where the ferk did he come from ?' :ohmy:as i saw a cyclist now behind me.

I sincerely hope i didnt come close let alone spook him. It bugged me for couple days...i can only assume he was obscured in my windscreen pillar, i've had exactly that done to me.

It still bugs me now...my sincere apologies if by some miracle you're a reader on here

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
If a business cannot operate with people WFH'ing then get the employees (that are not highly vulnerable) back in the office.

In the last couple of months alone we have had huge waits (more than usual) on phone lines and very slow formal responses from a car insurance provider, home insurance provider, a fitness product supplier and HMRC - all citing that business is not as usual due to employees basically working from home.

The latter (HMRC) is an absolute farce - 48 minute wait for phone to be answered and the guy became distressed when I said umpteen times that I could not hear him properly. Apparently his phone only works in the garden (he wouldn't give me his land-line number) and at the time of my call it was raining. He said he was hacked off about people moaning about poor reception during calls to him.

If a business cannot operate with people WFH'ing then get the employees (that are not highly vulnerable) back in the office.

In the last couple of months alone we have had huge waits (more than usual) on phone lines and very slow formal responses from a car insurance provider, home insurance provider, a fitness product supplier and HMRC - all citing that business is not as usual due to employees basically working from home.

The latter (HMRC) is an absolute farce - 48 minute wait for phone to be answered and the guy became distressed when I said umpteen times that I could not hear him properly. Apparently his phone only works in the garden (he wouldn't give me his land-line number) and at the time of my call it was raining. He said he was hacked off about people moaning about poor reception during calls to him.

I used to work on a computer system in a Customer Service Centre

Long wait times are not due ot unexpectedly high demand - it is due to not having enough staff to cope with demand - and demand can be predicted if you try hard enough
We had a rule that EVERY phone call had to be answered within 3 rings (on one site) 5 on another - changed to 10 seconds a while later
that was in the 1980s - nowadays the same company answers in under a minute - mostly

I get really annoyed when they blame the customers for having the cheek to ring up

and NO - I cannot find the answer on the damn web site becuause I have looked - had to look to find the damn phone number that was in a locked cupboard in a locked room in the basement behind a door marked "Beware of the Leopard"

The reason people in my profession use these methods isn't that we come with "baggage"; it's because we're trained to use these methods; we're trained this way because it works.

I know you have different skills and I respect them. Please get that chip off your shoulder, or at the very least stop being condescending.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Why do tourists who come to an island off the west coast of Scotland assume we are a shower of hicks who have never left the island and know nothing of life elsewhere?
Many of us have travelled widely and know more of the world outside our island than they ever will.
I caught a snatch of conversation recently between a couple of bodachs “ yes it was just like that the last time I was in Rio “. Been wondering ever since how the rest of that conversation went.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why do tourists who come to an island off the west coast of Scotland assume we are a shower of hicks who have never left the island and know nothing of life elsewhere?
Many of us have travelled widely and know more of the world outside our island than they ever will.
I caught a snatch of conversation recently between a couple of bodachs “ yes it was just like that the last time I was in Rio “. Been wondering ever since how the rest of that conversation went.

Around 1993 a couple of Americans sat beside me on a train. They asked me what I did for a living and I told them I was a software engineer. They then proudly informed me that they had Pentiums in the States!

alicat

Legendary Member
Sod off, E**ie. Please stop contacting me. Yes, I'll own to having slightly abrupt under provocation and you've made it amply clear that you find my behaviour rude. So why on earth are you still trying to have the last word?! Please stop wasting your time and your second class stamps three weeks after I made it clear i wasn't going to read any more messages from you.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not so much 'Like to say, but can't', more like 'DID say, but might as well not have bothered'! :whistle:

I saw a friend off at Todmorden bus station tonight. As I was walking back through the station I noticed a young man sparked out on a seat next to a waiting bus. It looked like he was going to miss it...

I walked up alongside him and said...

"Your bus is in, mate"

"Your bus is in, mate"

"Your bus is in, mate"

"YOUR BUS IS IN, MATE!!!!!!"

At which point, I gave up. He was still breathing, but whatever he was on had him so out of it that me shouting in his ear didn't wake him. I wasn't going to risk shaking an intoxicated, muscular young stranger so I left him to it!

Top Bottom