Thinking of going SRAM - always ridden Shimano - any user experience before I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As title really.

Started off with a Shimano 2300 triple and have worked my way up to 5700 10 speed which I am very pleased with. Even my 9 speed Sora is super smooth. These are very good for my standard of riding - a few (thousand) grams here or there would be better lost off my gut!

Anyway over the last couple of years and thanks to the bargain thread on here I have picked up an SRAM Force 22 groupset in pieces for a good price. Before I commit was just looking for some user experience please.

• I'm used to Shimano shifting - is the Double Tap easy / better / worse?
  • Have heard that GXP BB aren't the best for UK weather - also quite expensive compared to Shimano
  • Rear mechs are very expensive compared to Shimano
  • Shimano 105 5800 brakes are very well regarded - SRAM use Swisstop pads
  • Limited reach adjust on my 105 5700 shifters Force 22 lots of easy adjustment
  • Does 11 speed really make that much difference?
All opinions greatly received, thanks

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Shouldn't you have asked those questions BEFORE buying? :whistle:

I haven't used SRAM shifting but ... I used exclusively Campagnolo Ergopower shifters for nearly 15 years before buying a cyclocross bike with a Shimano groupset on it. It only took me a couple of rides to get used to it and now I can switch between the 2 systems without any problems. I'm sure that you'd adapt to the Double Tap system just as quickly. In fact, it sounds very logical to me so maybe even more quickly?

I have been using 9-speed and 10-speed for years. I haven't used 11-speed and get along fine without it. Having said that, it gives you the chance to cover a wide range of gears with fairly small steps between them so that could be handy. If you don't need a wide range of gears (or are not bothered by the steps between sprockets on a 10 speed cassette) then there isn't much point in switching.

grellboy

Über Member
I've gone the other way, from Sram Apex to Ultegra. Ultegra smoother but that's about it. Double tap levers operation becomes second nature very quickly, so much so that I often find myself replicating the gesture on the shimano levers! I'm sure lots of people will tell you shimano vastly superior etc, but they both do a job and both do it well. 11 speed in both Sram and Ultegra is always welcome both on flat and uphill too. I love my Ultegra bike but my commuter with sram is just as functional.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Muscle memory soon beds in and you'll be ok with it in no time. I had a few missed shifts when I changed from Campag to Shimano but got used to it quickly. As for the cost of rear mechs, no problem as they last for years unless you damage them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
GXP is quite cheap to replace. Shimano hollowtech is better but hey ho. It all works. I have SRAM x9 on an MTB and you soon get used to the slight differences.

I have sram rival and 105 on my two bikes. I prefer the rival to be honest, the hoods/brakes are easier to use with my levels of reach.

S-Express

I'm used to Shimano shifting - is the Double Tap easy / better / worse?

None of the above. It's just different.

Have heard that GXP BB aren't the best for UK weather - also quite expensive compared to Shimano
Rear mechs are very expensive compared to Shimano

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

Does 11 speed really make that much difference?

No.

TeeShot

Veteran
I have SRAM Force on one bike and Ultegra on another. If I had to choose, I go Ultegra. I prefer the feel/precision of ultegra when changing to larger sprockets front or rear. Otherwise both much more refined than Apex, which is on yet another bike. No issues going from one to another

vickster

Legendary Member
Try it, but force is meant to be great. I've got two bikes with Rival, one ten and one eleven speed and one with Apex. Works well for me, Shimano hoods don't if I want to brake effectively. I like that the brake levers only brake and not shift (as with Shimano)

I've not tried Ultegra to be fair

@grellboy not surprised Ultegra feels slicker than Apex (Tiagra equivalent), not comparing like for like

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I don't like DoubleTap - I find it too easy to shift up when you mean to shift down. That might be just a case of being too conditioned to Shimano though. I did a 200km audax on a SRAM-equipped bike but I wouldn't call myself an experienced user. I imagine you get used to it in time.

Nothing wrong with Swissstop pads. Flash Pro BXP are my pads of choice for rim brakes.

Compared to 10 speed? No.

david k

Hi
As title really.

Started off with a Shimano 2300 triple and have worked my way up to 5700 10 speed which I am very pleased with. Even my 9 speed Sora is super smooth. These are very good for my standard of riding - a few (thousand) grams here or there would be better lost off my gut!

Anyway over the last couple of years and thanks to the bargain thread on here I have picked up an SRAM Force 22 groupset in pieces for a good price. Before I commit was just looking for some user experience please.

• Have heard that GXP BB aren't the best for UK weather - also quite expensive compared to Shimano
  • Rear mechs are very expensive compared to Shimano
  • Limited reach adjust on my 105 5700 shifters Force 22 lots of easy adjustment
All opinions greatly received, thanks
I have both on two separate bikes. I like them both, difficult to say which I prefer, probably sram apex

The double tap works for me, smooth changes. I have shimano tigra circa 2011, and it's also good, but probably not quite as smooth

Truth is very little, I just fancied something different on my latest bike

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Thanks for the info, people. I read this thread with interest, since a bicycle tour I was considering for next year (the Italian Dolomites) involves hire bikes equipped with SRAM shifting.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've got 3 bikes running Apex (on 2) and Rival 22 and another couple runnings on Sora and Tiagra (old style) not 105 so no direct comparison. Much prefer the Double Tap and I've had no problems with the braking. Swapping between the two styles hasn't been any problem.

The main difference you will notice is the extremely loud "CLUNK" when changing from large to small chainring!

Top Bottom