Thinking of going SRAM - always ridden Shimano - any user experience before I do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
On the Shimano or the SRAM?

The front down shifts on the Shimano Tiagra on my CX bike are extremely clunky compared to those of the Campagnolo Chorus/Athena groupsets on my other bikes.
On the SRAM - the Shimano down changes are much quieter up front

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Ridden both. Sram feels more definite, Shimano smoother. I have Sram on my main road/race bike and on my cx bike. Would happily ride Shimano again, no problem chopping and changing between the two.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I thought the loud, clunky down-shift on the front chain rings was generally caused by too much shift cable tension.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's been the same on all three current bikes with SRAM and anoher which ran Rival 10 speed. Doesn't affect the change, but certainly lets you know that the change has been completed!

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
The only notable difference I have found between Rival & 105 was that chain replacement was required 500 miles sooner with the SRAM. Easily remedied with replacing SRAM chain with Shimano when chain change is due.

OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

Thanks very much for all the replies, very helpful. Think I may just go for it when I get the craving. My 10 speed 105 and 9 speed Sora are running smoothly and silently at the moment but they both have a few scratches - anyone know of anywhere selling any decent framesets? ^_^

In reference to the Swisstop pads that SRAM use - I have heard that these are better. Planet X were selling front and rear Apex brakes for around £7 each last year - cheaper than buying the pads separately!

The reason I have accumulated it before trying is for the sole reason that Amazon were selling the Force 22 shifter set for £17 the other year - yes really - check out the "found a bargain thread" and it's been built up because of that.

This doesn't show that price but does show when they went down last year to £112.61 https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Sram-Road-Force22-Shift-Brake/product/B00CLCBSJC

If I didn't pick up that bargain I wouldn't be fussed at all about going 11 speed. Appreciate all the replies and hopefully steered a few people in the direction of the bargain thread because they can be had!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Took me a few rides to get used to doubletap but it's all very fluid now.(2 yrs ago)

Really like SRAM stuff, I only got it as the build I wanted at the time didn't come with Hydraulic Ultegra

Top Bottom