This Could Be An Expensive Hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I took up cycling in the summer and apart from the initial bike cost and a lid, I bought bits as and when I could afford it. If I had a spare tenner I'd go and buy a cheap top or pair of padded shorts from sports direct.....crap quality but as a newbie I don't care at the moment, anything to get out on the road without wearing my Bermuda shorts !!
I have since bought shoes and pedals and shopped at aldi for more clothes. It can be as expensive as you want it to be really.

Peteaud

Veteran
My bike is worth more than my car.

rovers1875

Veteran
Priorities when you go out are;multi tool,spare tubes,pump,preferably one with a hose(Lezyne are great) Tyre levers and a couple of chain links
(Plenty of advice on Youtube reguarding punctures and fixing chains but it goes without saying take abit of cash/debit card and mobile with you just incase you cant fix your bike
Try not to be duped into the ludicrously over priced cycling specific gear and brands
I just wear Ron Hill trackster leggings with padded shorts and thermal baselayer leggings and a karrimor winter running top with baselayer and long sleeve cycling top underneath and normal gloves plus my helmet and road shoes.)

Ditto the above ( I'm a big fan of Aldi / Lidl stuff ) and some decent lights in winter.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
:tongue:Since I started cycling I have saved a kings ransom in curry and ale. Edit, actually I have broken even as I have spent what I saved on cycling stuff

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi Doc
Fixing a puncture is easy peasy. Look it up on youtube, its really simple. Even I can do it. I can sort my chain out too (youtube showed me how) and I can service my gears too (youtube again). Hubster gets a bit miffed when I clean the bike in the bath though.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
For the really basic stuff, Lidl is your friend. I got a small wedgie saddle bag with puncture repair kit, multitool and tyre levers for £4.99. Yes, it isn't particularly good quality but it works. For clothing, Wiggle's own brand stuff " dhb" is well made and doesn't have the daft prices of designer kit.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The sky's the limit?
Far as the eye can see.
Out of this world, some of it.

Tyke

You seem to have invested a lot in a short time but it is all good quality stuff that will last so over time the cost will average out. If you stick with it over the long term cycling is not that expensive so long as you get things as needed and not as wanted. As for fixing things you tube has all you need to fix anything on a bike if you have the tools to do it. just decide what you are capable of and give it a go.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
yehuda11.gif

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Even though some of the stuff I bought is pricey, I will be cycling for years so it should be cost effective in the long run. You Tube seems to be my new favourite web site to try and learn a bit about what I could potentially need out on the road.

As I will be on my own out on the road, at least until I feel confident about joining a group. It made me wonder about the % of riders who are usually out by themselves, compared to the riders in cycling clubs or group rides with mates. Is it a cyclist trait that they are comfortable being by themselves and dont mind hours alone doing what they want and going wherever it pleases them. Or are the majority of riders members of clubs and enjoy the competetive side of things. I would also guess that there are many riders who do it to get to and from work and do nothing else with the bike as they see it as a tool rather than a hobby?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I ride alone, or with hubby and haven't joined a club. I like to go where the road takes me and stop from time to time to look at things. Most rides, I make up as I go along. It might be a cycling trait, for all I know, this cycling alone thing. For me I like to cycle alone as I have people to look at all day and have to make nice, inane conversation and listen all about Coronation-enders in Hollyoak town near Emmerdale. They tell me about Jeremy Kyle and all sorts. Alone is good after that lot all day.
I echo the Aldi/Lidl sentiments for kit. My Aldi long sleeved jersey is still going strong at 2 years old, so not bad for a fiver or so.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Interesting thread!

My own 2-penneth is it is very easy for a Newbie to any sport/hobby to think that high priced products are necessarily good (although they often are but not always) and that by buying 'the best' you are buying things that go the distance. A good example are running shoes - at the top end these are a) expensive b) very light and c) because they are very light they may not be overly robust. Fine if you are a well-heeled (ha-ha)competitive runner who accepts that after a few months they will need binning because light weight is more important than robustness but someone new to the sport may be better served by cheaper shoes that may indeed last longer.

Watches are another example. Throughout my life I have owned maybe a dozen very expensive watches and the accuracy of the mechanical ones is not great, battery ones were better but the most accurate watch (and toughest) is a £160 Casio G Shock with radio reception time sync' and solar battery. 100% spot on all the time plus it just goes and goes and goes - imo that makes it a better watch than a few thousand pounds worth of Rolex that may lose 6 seconds a day or whatever and require a rocking watch box to keep it wound up if not worn for a few days.

I tend to buy things that work irrespective of price and brand but I accept that many people just cannot get beyond 'brand' (I exclude anyone who buys expensive branded products because they do work exactly as required for them).

Top Bottom