This Could Be An Expensive Hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Guys, I'm a newbie and just getting into cycling for fitness, and to be fair I enjoy the scenery. I went out and bought a Cannondale Synapse AL 105 Disc, and love it as it looks fantastic. I did however choose this bike because I'm knocking on and dont think a race position would suit my old bones, so needed something a bit more relaxed and this steed is supposed to be an endurance bike. I also had mudguards fitted because I want to get out on it through the winter and have a dry backside, and I may even use it for the commute.

So far I seem to have spent a bomb as I'm starting from scratch (Rapha kit is fantastic) a couple of winter base layers, a couple of pair of strides, waterproof map, drink bottles, warm hat, waterproof/winter gloves, Garmin Edge 200, waterproof/winter coat, glasses, multi-tool etc. However I reckon I could spend a fortune yet and still believe there are some essentials I don't have. I have no idea how to sort a puncture out so don't have a pump or spare tube? in fact I would be struggling to sort the chain out if it came off. Maybe I should invest in a sherpa to accompany me? Obviously I need to prioritise some important things, and maybe i should think about joining a cycle club as at least I will have someone to teach me in the event of a mishap. I don't feel ready to join a club yet as I would find it embarrasing being left in their wake before the first mile marker. I've only been out 4 times with 2 rides of 8-miles, one ride of 10-miles and one ride of 12-miles. I seem to be only averaging around 11 mph which is a bit shoddy and although I've only had the bike a week I feel I need to get fitter before speaking to anyone who may think I know what I'm doing because I may look the part.

How did you start out and what are essential's? What advice would you give anyone just starting out at almost 60 years old.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh indeed, there's nothing cheap about cycling, well unless you want it to be.

Lights, spare tube, good track pump at home, mini pump on the bike

Have a look on Youtube for info on how to change punctures etc. Also have a Google for maintenance courses, Evans cycles run them as do other organisations/charities

If you want to ride with others, look in the social rides section on here or look at Skyrides

Don't overdo the riding to start, take it steady, include rest days. You'll need to build up to club runs, look at the local CTC web pages for rides, tend to be older riders who like cake to go with their cycling :smile:
e.g. http://www.ctcchesterandnwales.org.uk/
http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/MADlinks.htm
Some route ideas in Cheshire if you prefer to go solo or with a pal or two http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Cheshire-Routes-66.html

nappadang

Über Member
I've fell into the bottomless pit too but realised that buying Aldi and lidl gear is a good way to start. This gets you up and running then you replace the less functional bits n bobs with decent gear as required or when you can afford it. Prioritising is a good idea too, no need to spend £180 on a waterproof if you don't plan on cycling in the rain etc

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Starting up is always the expensive bit, but once you got going it doesn't have to be expensive (shh, don't tell the wife that!)

You are doing the right thing, regular riding will improve your fitness and gradually increase your mileage, if that's what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with regular 10/12 mile rides.

Just enjoy doing what you are doing.

young Ed

Veteran
shame you are not closer or i would pop over and show you how to fix a puncture and put a chain back on and sort various other problems but youtube is you saviour! :P
agreed it doesn't have to be expensive if you are very very hard on your self but it easily can cost a fair bit! :P
Cheers Ed

Unless you can afford it :smile:
The OP suggests to me that the overall cost is starting to become a consideration ;)

I do like the design of Rapha stuff but would never buy it for two reasons:

1) Even if I could afford to buy it I couldn't justify the cost over other manufactures.
2) Rapha sizes don't cater for anyone outside their outdated view of an ideal figure :whistle:

line71

Priorities when you go out are;multi tool,spare tubes,pump,preferably one with a hose(Lezyne are great) Tyre levers and a couple of chain links
Plenty of advice on Youtube reguarding punctures and fixing chains but it goes without saying take abit of cash/debit card and mobile with you just incase you cant fix your bike
Try not to be duped into the ludicrously over priced cycling specific gear and brands
I just wear Ron Hill trackster leggings with padded shorts and thermal baselayer leggings and a karrimor winter running top with baselayer and long sleeve cycling top underneath and normal gloves plus my helmet and road shoes
Total cost about 65 pounds for clothes another 50 for helmet/shoes bought off ebay
you dont need all the nonsense brands,its bullshit and an utter rip off for people with more money than sense,get second hand gear off ebay/gumtree

Last edited:

Peteaud

Veteran
1/2 the stuff you buy you dont really need.

Dont go to cheap as you (not always) buy twice.

I would love a garmin 800, but i dont need one etc.

CYCLING IS NOT AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY.
In fact I am seriously concerned that MAMILs like us are giving cycling a bad name, that it is an expensive bobby etc..
Just like any hobby, you can spend as much as you like. Your happiness or what you gain from cycling is not proportionate to what you spend. You can buy a bike from anything from £50 up to however much money you have. Whether the more expensive bike is really worth the money you spend is very debatable.
I just Googled Rapha and was quite shocked to see the price of those. I really do not know why anyone would like to spend that much of money on a cycling top.
12 years ago, I bought a mountain bike from JJB sports for just £50. I bought a children bike and a tag along to take my son and a second hand bike for their mum. We have gone on numerous holidays in the UK taking those bikes. We had a wonderful time. It did not cost us fortune.
I can go on on, but just need to get out and actually do some cycling.
I will be riding B Twin (£300) and wearing ALDI winter kit (troucers, base layer, top, gloves and hat all for less than £25.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom