This Could Be An Expensive Hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I started a month ago and was thinking about the cost the other day too!

I totted it up:

Hybrid Bike £400
Clothing and helmet £150 (two days worth)
Some basics: Lights, Bottle, Cheap Lock*, Multi Tool: £50
Cleaning stuff: £20

That's £620 and I don't have: Puncture Repair, any pump whatsoever, spare tubes or anything to store this stuff! Priority wise these are less because I don't ride more than 20 miles, and that's no more than about 5-6 miles from my home which is 1) walkable if I must but 2) I have people who can pick me up. I even pass a Halfords on my route if necessary.

That's 50% of the bike's price on additional things, and I haven't included my £89 GPS computer!

*I am not saying people should buy a cheap lock: I don't leave my bike unattended and I use this lock just as a deterrent while it's at home in case anybody thinks they can quickly break in and ride off with it if the nosey through the window. I am even considering upgrading to a Silver/Gold standard lock anyway.

Regarding 11mph, I am half your age and have been doing this for a month and I have only just started to average consistently at 11.4!

BrynCP

Über Member
Yes. Pump mounts on frame. How do you carry other stuff? Can have tube in pocket
Yep, pockets currently.

Cycling is expensive, but my health and wellbeing is worth every penny

Exactly and that's why I am not bothered really, I thought it was more interesting from a personal point of view to add it up because I am known to spend as little as possible on things normally!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I store a spare tube , puncture repair kit , tyre levers , co2 canister and a small amount of change for a cuppa in a water bottle .

young Ed

Veteran
i really need that new lens at least my mate is getting me a new lens for my birthday at beginning of january! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed
P.S Dear santa i know you love cycling so will be reading this i have been a wheeeely good boy this year and am in need of a new Garmin and frame to come and visit you in the north pole! ;)
Ed

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
CYCLING IS NOT AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY.
In fact I am seriously concerned that MAMILs like us are giving cycling a bad name, that it is an expensive bobby etc..

Have you considered that MAMILs could in fact be the saviours of an industry which declined with the rise of the motor vehicle.
The car was seen as the desirable mode of transport while cycling was seen by many a second rate mode of transport.
Cycling is now cool and attracting people with expendable incomes which help support development and jobs in the industry.

Motoring does not have to be expensive, but some people buy Porsche while others buy Skoda, neither on their own give motoring a bad name.. It is attitudes and behaviours which do that.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
i really need that new lens at least my mate is getting me a new lens for my birthday at beginning of january! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed
P.S Dear santa i know you love cycling so will be reading this i have been a wheeeely good boy this year and am in need of a new Garmin and frame to come and visit you in the north pole! ;)
Ed
The photo business, went from participant to pusher.
Yes, Young Ed, you need more lenses.
Or it may stifle your creativity.

Top Bottom