This Could Be An Expensive Hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
The photo business, went from participant to pusher.
Yes, Young Ed, you need more lenses.
Or it may stifle your creativity.
thanks someone understands! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

vickster

Legendary Member
I hate seeing things like pumps stuck to tubing.

I have a very small bag under the saddle that holds one tube and my levers.

Everything else goes in my pockets, that's what they're for after all.

I hate having anything next to / sticking into my back (probably due to the very large scar from surgery)!

And I'd rather it was the bike whose personal space was impinged!

BrynCP

Über Member
£89.00 for a GPS - really really all that vital ? If you want to save money buy a map - otherwise don't complain.
I wasn't complaining to my knowledge, I was just out of interest showing how much I had spent up to now. I left the GPS computer out of the list because it was an extravagance. Also it's not for routes, it's for speed, distance, elevation etc.

I think it's useful for beginners (we are in the beginners forum aren't we?) to realise that although the bike is the big ticket item, you need to budget a lot more for other things you need/want too!

As tight with money I can be, I have no regrets or complaints on what I have spent and am already thinking of what I might want to do in summer, including perhaps in summer getting a different bike already!

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Thanks all. So it seems that the consensus is that cycling can be expensive, thought so. On the subject of Rapha, I have to say that the quality and fit and everything about their stuff is well made and will last for years. I have a couple of their winter base layers with a hood and thumb hole. very, very warm, and I have the peaked hat with ear flaps that can be warn under the helmet. I also have a pair of 'town trousers' because I didn't think a guy my age would look right ina pair of bib tights. The trousers are fantastic and can be turned up which shows a rapha florescent logo on the rear of the right leg. The fit is great and the stuff is sheer quality with a lot of functional pockets and stuff. All the other stuff is Altura and I'm just wearing some ecco trainers. I have a 'muck off' pack on it's way to me, and a great idea about the youtube bit to learn a bit more, but I reckon I could easily rack up some serious costs, just like I did when I took up golf. I ended up with a set of Miura forged irons, so for those who play golf, will know what I'm talking about..

I've had no problems with Rapha sizing by the way, and being a short guy I always kick off about having to be a bowling ball shape to get anything to fit, but so far Rapha fits great, and no I'm not a Sky boy as I would feel like a fraud compared to the real boys and girls. I'm amazed at how little rubber is on the tarmac when rocketing down a hill, but I try not to think about it, although difficult to do when its wet and greasy. I'm sure i'll get into it and get a bit of confidence and probably be able to maybe not embarrass myself with some other old (mature) riders within the next few months. My next goal is to do a 20-mile ride and hope it was done within 2-hours, but I'm building up to it and going to choose the route to make it easier to achieve.

I'm going to make a list of all the great ideas coming in so once again, many thanks

Have you considered that MAMILs could in fact be the saviours of an industry which declined with the rise of the motor vehicle.
The car was seen as the desirable mode of transport while cycling was seen by many a second rate mode of transport.
Cycling is now cool and attracting people with expendable incomes which help support development and jobs in the industry.

Motoring does not have to be expensive, but some people buy Porsche while others buy Skoda, neither on their own give motoring a bad name.. It is attitudes and behaviours which do that.

My choice of words "giving cycling a bad name" does not accurately describe what I meant to say. I was in a hurry to go cycling. But this is a very important subject and I have some perhaps very strong opinions on it.
For vast majority of people in this world cycling is a form of transport, commute and carry good. For us, cycling is a hobby or a leisure activity. It has some unintended consequences.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Doc, what you need to remember is that it is winter and all that wet weather and warm gear you have bought for cycling, is multi purpose. I have just been out walking in mine.

You can scratch that lot off the cycling bill.

See its cheaper already.

Steve

if you can afford it - no reason why you can't buy it smokey
I know what you're saying but no-one will ever persuade me it's worth the money*, (same goes for Assos).

If I could afford a Rolls Royce I still wouldn't buy one, if you know what I mean :smile:

It's a bit like replica football kits, as long as people are prepared to shell out daft amounts of money for something then the manufacturers will keep making them. Good luck to them I say.

U

User33236

Check out you local colleges for adult leisure learning courses. I did a 10 evening bicycle maintenance course at my local one and learned a lot from it as I much prefer practical learning to watching YouTube videos.

Top Bottom