This really annoyed me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Panto season has just finished you know. Withdrawl symptoms ?

Oh yes it has....

Oh no it hasn't......

:laugh:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Ok lets take it slow. There was no approaching collision. You didnt slow enough to not have a collision, that wasnt going to happen, while passing an oncoming vehicle.

So if I had carried on at full speed and not altered my path, there would not have been a collision? Sure about that?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I didn't engineer anything. If I had not had my camera on, I would have behaved in exactly the same way. The arm wasn't showboating, it was a spur of the moment reaction borne from annoyance towards the driver.
As your other videos show!
And the bolded section? What he could have done is not to pull out onto the opposite side of the road when there's oncoming traffic. Pretty basic driving skills, I would say.
The question was not `What he...' but 'What you...`

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't rise to it folks !

bait.jpg

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Honestly, Shaun, do you not care at all about your forum? How many of us are going to stay around a place whilst you allow behaviour like Col's on this topic? FFS!

col

Legendary Member
Honestly, Shaun, do you not care at all about your forum? How many of us are going to stay around a place whilst you allow behaviour like Col's on this topic? FFS!
Oh dear, your dislike for me has shown itself before, but never like this. Why post this when you can pm him? Oh I see, you wanted your feelings shown. If you dont like something on a thread dont read it. You havnt been part of this thread for a long time, so why does it anger you? Just dont read, simple.^_^

Bicycle

The fact I was forced to take evasive action (and I was well under the speed limit) means that it was not clear for him to proceed.

1. My apologies in advance if my tone or content cause offence.
2. As already stated, I would have been annoyed too, if I were the cyclist (with caveats).
3. The cyclist has my sympathy anyway.
4. Now the part that may make the apology necessary:

First, in the quoted passage above, BenB brings the speed limit into the equation. I am not writing this as a tub-thumper, but I have lost count of the number of car drivers who've said to me after an incident "I was well under the speed limit". It's a limit, not a target speed. I see the point you were making, but even on a bicycle (with no legal requirement to comply) the "I was under the speed limit" argument can hit all the wrong notes.

Secondly, I think there may be a connection here to a thread about the benefit of experience driving and riding other vehicles. Had the cyclist in the video had some experience driving larger, rigid vehicles around urban environments, I pretty much guarantee he would have spotted the situation the bus was in, spotted the indicator, seen that it was waiting and waved it on.

He didn't have to. He had every right to sail on in the confidence that he had priority, which he did. Fair enough.

That's not to say that everyone who cycles and drives trucks/buses is lovely (our experiences every day tell us that there are some beastly road users)... But I'm pretty certain that someone who knew what it was like to negotiate those streets in a 52-seat bus would have relented.

BenB, if you are a PSV or HGV driver, I partially withdraw that potentially incendiary post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom