This really annoyed me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
duty_calls.png

http://xkcd.com/386/
This is good, Ill pass on the offer though^_^

What if you're an absolute pro on a mountain bike or bmx and can go from the middle of the road
to the pavement in the blink of an eye?

How about holding your line and playing chicken with that bus, see if he'd panic and brake?

(Just throwing more crap into this thread ... see if we can keep it going, etc).

col

Legendary Member
Wide angle lenses don't show how much a cyclist slowed down. I noticed this last night with a video i'm making of an old incident. I added a speedo with data taken from my GPS unit and i'm surprised how much I slowed down and when I started.
I go on how fast the scenery changes in speed as passing, seems to be a good way of seeing speed changes?

col

Legendary Member
What if you're an absolute pro on a mountain bike or bmx and can go from the middle of the road
to the pavement in the blink of an eye?

How about holding your line and playing chicken with that bus, see if he'd panic and brake?

(Just throwing more crap into this thread ... see if we can keep it going, etc).
That was actually what kids have done to me on dark night shifts. They headed straight for me in the middle of my lane, came from nowhere and had the balls of a baboon, not giving at all.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Crazy place this. I am all for debate and a laugh, but I don't see what there is to debate. The vid clearly shows the cyclist was right and the bus driver was wrong. What is there to possibly debate about that? The cyclist acted fine and did not cause an accident or anything although he was unsurprisingly annoyed about it. Arguing about this is just arguing for the sake of it no amount of debate will change the fact that the bus driver was in the wrong.
Are you and I watching the same video? Look at it this way:-
You are the cyclist and have 'priority', you have plenty of time to adjust speed and course so that the bus passes you without any camera footage - would you do that or would you enginerr a youtube moment complete with a showboating arm wave?
Now put yourself in the bus driver's seat and I will let you into a little secret here - driving a bus is different to driving a car - a lot different! You have adjusted your speed and moved as far over to your left as possible, the approaching cyclist gives you a cheery wave as if to say 'It's OK, I have enough room". What more can you, as the bus driver, do?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There was no approaching collision, you didnt slow enough to not have a collision that wasnt going to happen while passing an oncoming vehicle,^_^

I have no idea what you're saying here. The words are English, but the sentence is gibberish.

I have no idea what you're saying here. The words are English, but the sentence is gibberish.

Why not google "sir stanley unwin". ;)

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Are you and I watching the same video? Look at it this way:-
You are the cyclist and have 'priority', you have plenty of time to adjust speed and course so that the bus passes you without any camera footage - would you do that or would you enginerr a youtube moment complete with a showboating arm wave?
Now put yourself in the bus driver's seat and I will let you into a little secret here - driving a bus is different to driving a car - a lot different! You have adjusted your speed and moved as far over to your left as possible, the approaching cyclist gives you a cheery wave as if to say 'It's OK, I have enough room". What more can you, as the bus driver, do?

I didn't engineer anything. If I had not had my camera on, I would have behaved in exactly the same way. The arm wasn't showboating, it was a spur of the moment reaction borne from annoyance towards the driver.

And the bolded section? What he could have done is not to pull out onto the opposite side of the road when there's oncoming traffic. Pretty basic driving skills, I would say.

col

Legendary Member
Ok lets take it slow. There was no approaching collision. You didnt slow enough to not have a collision, that wasnt going to happen, while passing an oncoming vehicle.

col

Legendary Member
I didn't engineer anything. If I had not had my camera on, I would have behaved in exactly the same way. The arm wasn't showboating, it was a spur of the moment reaction borne from annoyance towards the driver.

And the bolded section? What he could have done is not to pull out onto the opposite side of the road when there's oncoming traffic. Pretty basic driving skills, I would say.
Doesnt look like you slow at all, watched it a few times now and just makes me think you wanted confrontation.

col

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1694479, member: 45"]My view-

1. Bus shouldn't have pulled out.
  2. Driving a bus isn't easy. You spend your day wanting to rejoin traffic and being stopped by impatient people, when all you're trying to do is get people around on a more practical form of transport than a driver-only car.
  3. We should give buses more leeway than other forms of transport for this reason (as recognised by the HC).
  4. It's not really worth getting in a flap about.
  5. There have historically always been at least a couple of posters at any one time who leap on ambiguous threads like these, dribble streaming from the corners of their mouth, and successfully derail, elongate and frustrate any potential for a reasonable discussion.
  6. See my sig line.
[/quote]

You have proof of dribble streaming ? ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom