Thunderbirds Are Go!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm going to sound like a grumpy old git now, but...

When did TV stop innovating and merely start not only recycling ideas, but the actual shows themselves? First Captain Scarlet gets a CGI makeover, now this! I'm going to go rewatch Stingray in all it's stringy glory before they come along and refangle that too!

Another grumpy old git here then as I agree with you.

young Ed

Veteran
Why? Don't you use You Tube, Iplayer, 4OD etc?
never thought a tv was necessary, and no space really. TBH i don't want one and don't plan on having one when i move out, never really liked much TV
younger brother watches a lot of iplayer, youtube etc but me, hardly any and only youtube when i do. but that's only really instructional vids, GCN and some farming vids
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
never thought a tv was necessary, and no space really. TBH i don't want one and don't plan on having one when i move out, never really liked much TV
younger brother watches a lot of iplayer, youtube etc but me, hardly any and only youtube when i do. but that's only really instructional vids, GCN and some farming vids
Cheers Ed

OK, you missed my point. Never mind.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm going to sound like a grumpy old git now, but...

When did TV stop innovating and merely start not only recycling ideas, but the actual shows themselves? First Captain Scarlet gets a CGI makeover, now this! I'm going to go rewatch Stingray in all it's stringy glory before they come along and refangle that too!
Another grumpy old git here then as I agree with you.
since the dawn of film and television they've been recycling ideas from books, comic strips, plays and radio shows. Even the Maltese Falcon starring Humphrey Bogart was the third remake of that particular story... in fact I'm surprised that hasn't been remade again.

Fret not, they are not likely to meddle with Fireball XL5

I am even older than that!

.. and even sadder..

I am always in two minds about these programmes.

(Perhaps I am reaching a certain age)

These programmes were ground breaking at the time.

They explored new concepts, pushed boundaries and technology with predictions of where they could lead... having donethat they used state of the art techniques to portray these ideas, concepts and suggest a future that was only limited to the dreams of the author.

They also had a real effect......

Look at Asimov's contribution (even earlier)

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

An almost universal law from a novel!

By all means revisit these important social and scientific documents, but so long as they have the real values, morale values and honestly stick to the concepts of the original authors then by all means do a new version, but remain faithful

Finally imagine in your own mind what Gerry and Sylvia COULD have achieved with access to modern technology

Top Bottom