Time for action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

PM's sent. :smile:

For anyone else wantng to donate... you send me your e-mail address and I send a paypal request ro you for a donation. Simples. ;)

I'll PM admin, to see if he can make an announcement.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sorry I've been a bit out of the loop this week.

Anyway we now have monies from:

ttcycle
classic33
speicher
dmoan
cotterpin
magnatom
User
User1314

(all anonumously of course! :evil:)

So the total stands at £85.:laugh:

Keep it coming! :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

£95 now with the additional donation from origamist! :biggrin:

Many thanks

How much was the hire again? Is Ben still around? Haven't seen him for a while.

ufrasia

Hello Cycle Chat,

I'd really appreciate it if you would help us with our campaign.

You may be aware that 8 cyclists have been killed by lorries on London roads so far this year. We believe it is unreasonable to expect cyclists to share the road with lorries that can't 'see' them. We are petitioning the government to implement stricter LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) safety standards. These standards would prohibit unsafe lorries from entering the congestion zone during peak hours. Safe lorries would be granted permission via a permit.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/LGV-Cycle-Safety/

One of the cyclists killed was a friend of mine. She absolutely loved cycling in London. In memory of her we would really like to make London one of the most cycle friendly cities in the world.

Thanks,

Jo

Origamist

Legendary Member
ufrasia said:
Hello Cycle Chat,

I'd really appreciate it if you would help us with our campaign.

You may be aware that 8 cyclists have been killed by lorries on London roads so far this year. We believe it is unreasonable to expect cyclists to share the road with lorries that can't 'see' them. We are petitioning the government to implement stricter LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) safety standards. These standards would prohibit unsafe lorries from entering the congestion zone during peak hours. Safe lorries would be granted permission via a permit.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/LGV-Cycle-Safety/

One of the cyclists killed was a friend of mine. She absolutely loved cycling in London. In memory of her we would really like to make London one of the most cycle friendly cities in the world.

Thanks,

Jo

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the forum.

I created a new thread for your petition a few days ago here:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=932131&postcount=1

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi Jo

welcome - have signed your petition which origamist posted a while back.

Mag- Ben may be abroad - I have wondered the same about Jake who's not been on the commuting forums for some time - would need him et al for filming.

Maybe will be worth a ping or a pm when we're got funds and can move forward with this- Classic33 is trying again to contact HGV companies to see if they'll loan us out a HGV - if we can wing that one then the funds can be used on other items.

Hire was £145 from memory but don't quote me-maybe more if we need it for more than one day

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Sorry, things got busy, but I'm always on email when travelling. Have dropped Mag a PM.

classic33

Leg End Member
Two replies, sofar

28 October 2009

Our ref: WS/091026-SL-FT(Please quote reference on all correspondence)

Dear

Thank you for your email correspondence of 6 October concerning the HGV and Cyclist Safety campaign.

I empathise with your concern, being a keen cyclist and supporter of cycling myself. It is my belief that many people in Britain want to cycle, and do in fact own bikes, but feel the road is too dangerous and the cycling provisions too poor.

The Lib Dems are committed to promoting the use of the bicycle and improving road safety. We are also committed to securing modal shift towards public transport, in this instance using rail freight instead of increasing the number of HGVs on the road. In the September 2009 Transport policy paper, the Lib Dem vision for the future is a zero carbon transport system that uses a new network of High Speed Rail which would free up existing railway lines for more passengers and freight, and allowing greater scope for freight expansion, as outlined in our policy paper Fast Track Britain.

We do recognise that road freight will never disappear entirely. In these cases we encourage the development of green technologies to reduce the environmental impact of the HGV and new regulation to improve conditions for other road users.

To combat the problems caused by HGVs such as increased congestion and creating difficulties for pedestrians and other road users, we have introduced a new initiative regarding Satellite Navigation Devices. In April this year I tabled Early Day Motion 1252 which aims to ensure that all Sat Navs require the setting of vehicle width, height and weight before the journey begins, with a requirement that HGV manufacturers install Sat Navs that are suitable for the vehicles in question. To date 44 MPs have signed it, showing some clear support for the concept.

If you have not already done so, you might like to ask your local MP, Linda Riordan, to sign EDM 1252. For my part, I will continue to press for a solution to this problem.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours sincerely
Norman Baker MP

Lib Dem Shadow Transport Secretary

Frances Tuddenham

Office of Norman Baker MP

Liberal Democrat Shadow Secretary of State for Transport

MP for Lewes

AND

Dear

Thank you very much for your email asking if David Cameron will support your campaign.

David receives a huge number of requests from all over the country for all sorts of excellent causes. Sadly he cannot support them all and I do hope you understand.

Yours sincerely,

Alice Sheffield

Office of David Cameron MP
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA

Maybe its just me, but it appears that other than those on this thread, most of whom have put more time & effort than me into trying to get it off the ground, we're on our own.

On the lorry & money side. To those who have responded on this thread I am assuming that in trying to raise the money for the hire, we will also have to consider insurance & fuel in the cost.

Sorry for making it seem poliltical, its not. The three main party leaders were contacted. Two have responded, sort of. Leaving only one outstanding silence.

Without wading through 55 pages of this thread, has anyone contacted Boris Johnson's office given he was nearly killed (on camera) earlier this year in London by a HGV.

Having him on side would carry a lot more weight wouldn't it ?

classic33

Leg End Member
Response sofar

"The Mayor would like to thank you for your interest in his work and he is keen to answer your query as quickly and fully as possible. As you will appreciate, he receives very large amount of correspondence but he is committed to responding to your query within 20 working days.

However, the Greater London Authority (GLA) will only respond to queries that relate to its work and will refer relevant queries to the appropriate functional body for them to reply e.g. transport related queries will be referred to Transport for London (TfL).

Please note that the GLA does not accept unsolicited job applications or C.V's. Information on current vacancies is available on our website at: http://www.london.gov.uk/jobs.jsp

Thank you for taking the time to write to the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson.

Yours truly

Public Liaison Unit"

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hi Guys,

I've had a lot going on recently which meant I didn't have time to focus on this at all. However, here I am again.

I have recently had some money from Ben Lovejoy and Spinney, so thanks guys! (Spinney I have yet to bank the cheque, but I will do that over the next few days).

So are we still up for this?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
yes from me maggers

if we've still got people willing to muck in we can get this going.

Anyone know what happened to Jake? We'd need him to contact his filmcrew neighbours!

How much have we got raised so far?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

ttcycle said:
yes from me maggers

if we've still got people willing to muck in we can get this going.

Anyone know what happened to Jake? We'd need him to contact his filmcrew neighbours!

How much have we got raised so far?

I think it is £95. I'll need to check and get back.

Top Bottom