Time for action

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I had an idea the other morning, probably at about 3am.

Does anyone know who makes the articulated trucks? Presumably they start in all white paintwork, before transfers and names, logos are put on them. If you were able to use a white lorry, devoid of names, does this get round the idea of people being hesitant about being associated, however loosely, with "accidents" ie bad publicity instead of good publicity.

I have absolutely no idea who makes trucks, or what the process is. I presume they have large turning areas, and some test areas, and drivers though. Just a thought, please dismiss it if you think it is impractical.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Ok can I suggest if there are ideas that people have- post them and also if there's anything that crops up please that you suggest, please run with them and research etc to see if it's viable as well as posting- so we can get this moving again. More people = big task becomes less work!

Re the above Speicher would you be able to find out at all?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Rhythm Thief, I am sure, would know trillions more about trucks, than I would. I have sent him an explanatory pm and linked it to the previous page. I expect, like lots of other people, it depends on his workload etc. I do not think I can name any truck manufacturers. We get lots of trucks carrying/colllecting vegetables etc around here, but with very obscure European names.

Paccar are a big multinational who build DAF and Foden trucks, among others, up in Cheshire.
Scania have dealerships all over the country.
Volvo.
Renault.

Whether any of these people would be open to hiring or lending a lorry is another matter. Most hire places give them out in plain white livery so I don't think that aspect would be a problem. Hire places in London seem to be surprisingly thin on teh ground, but include Morgan Elliott ltd in Croydon and Easirent in Hoddesdon.
Trailer hire is more difficult ... I might be able to arrange to borrow one from my former employer (no promises, mind), but otherwise we'll have to find somewhere to hire one. A quick google search for "45' trailer hire" didn't get me anything ... perhaps someone else can have a go?
Hope this helps!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
ok feedback from Trek contact is - if we can get the script for the vid out to him he'll let me know if it's going to hinder our chances

People happy with me to send the script of sorts that Ben drafted some time ago? wherever it is on this post......

OP
OP
M

magnatom

ttcycle said:
ok feedback from Trek contact is - if we can get the script for the vid out to him he'll let me know if it's going to hinder our chances with getting ****** on board.

People happy with me to send the script of sorts that Ben drafted some time ago? wherever it is on this post......

Aye! No problem.

Folks, I think it is also worthwhile taking some of this off board. There seems to be a core group that keep posting here, so it might be worth taking this off board to speed up the organisation. This would also allow us to pass around documents etc and to comment on them. I have an ideaof who might want to be involved and I will PM them later, however, if you are keen to be involved let me know.

We will of course keep the forum updated and involved, taking it off will just improve our efficiency!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ben Lovejoy said:
Storyboard is here: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=820618#post820618

My project timings have now changed, so I'm around much of December then away all of January and most of Feb. Any chance we could do this between xmas and new year? Quiet roads, and an excuse to duck out of family stuff ... :-)

Ducking out of family stuff!

Personally my availability over the next few months is poor. I'm moving house in just over two weeks and my wife will be poping another sprog some time in January. But I don't think I need to be at any shoot in person.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Going to be tricky for me to get this done before Christmas as I'll be away with relies for a few days -groan- bloody hell Ben, you don't ask for much do you?!! think RT needed a bit of notice to drive the HGV.

script of sorts emailed to contact.

Good suggestion mags

classic33

Leg End Member
Speicher said:
I had an idea the other morning, probably at about 3am.

Does anyone know who makes the articulated trucks? Presumably they start in all white paintwork, before transfers and names, logos are put on them. If you were able to use a white lorry, devoid of names, does this get round the idea of people being hesitant about being associated, however loosely, with "accidents" ie bad publicity instead of good publicity.

I have absolutely no idea who makes trucks, or what the process is. I presume they have large turning areas, and some test areas, and drivers though. Just a thought, please dismiss it if you think it is impractical.

One response sofar. Don't know what will come of it though. Never thought of going to the manufacturer either.

Dear Mr

We inform you that your message has been passed to the right department to deal with your requirement.

Best Regards

Iveco CustomerCenter

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hi Guys,

I'd just thought I would remind everyone that I still have the money for the HGV hire. In fact as nothing specific had been organised I have stopped accepting money until something concrete is set out.

I did PM a few folk (3 got back a few didn't) about taking this off forum to get something organised. Are any of those who I PM'ed but didn't reply interested (I know how easy it is to forget to reply)?

If this doesn't go forward (which would be a shame) we will have to agree an appropriate use for the generously provided funds.

classic33

Leg End Member
Further response from Iveco. They don't seem to feel that there is much that can be done on this matter, from the manufactuer's side of things is how I read the reply.

Dear mr.

thank you for your mail.

As an industry there is little on the horizon to address this type of issue other than ultrasonic sensors monitoring the area to the side of the cab.

As far as UK is concerned we are aware of one operator, Cemex, who have covered their vehicles with warnings to cyclists.

This type of safety issue is generally more the sphere of organisations like ROSPA who are active on a national basis and have strong relationships with the Police Commercial Vehicle Education Unit (CVEU).

Best Regards
Iveco CustomerCenter
ContactUs Service

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
that's dissapointing classic- sounds like they don't want to do anything rather than can't do - in some cases the pressure needs to come from the bottom up to the top to change the companies.

Are we still on for this, I know I am....

Top Bottom