Time saving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
According to the new ad, people use the latest Hive thermostat so that they can "make time for the things that really matter".

This is an interesting sales pitch. I wasn't aware that people are so busy that having to occasionally stand up and walk to the thermostat or heating on/off button was so difficult to find time for.

Does anyone else have simple every day chores that they no longer have time for? Has picking the mail off the doormat, switching on a light, or locking the front door at night all fallen by the wayside because you no longer have the time?

classic33

Leg End Member
I save time by not switching the light on in the first place. No time wasted having to knock it off after either.

petek

Über Member
That Hive gizmo can do a lot more than just turn up the central heating.
There's cameras , cookers and all sorts of household kit that can be hooked up to it.
Possibly handy for busy city type workers but useless to MrsP or me because there's generally one of us indoors at any given time of the day.

classic33

Leg End Member
That Hive gizmo can do a lot more than just turn up the central heating.
There's cameras , cookers and all sorts of household kit that can be hooked up to it.
Possibly handy for busy city type workers but useless to MrsP or me because there's generally one of us indoors at any given time of the day.
Easy see what you're doing and when though.

Google own the thermostat company.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm pretty sure you can order MacDonalds via one of those new restaurant/food delivery services. One of the kids working for me in the summer did it at one point.
KFC as well.

classic33

Leg End Member
Absolutely.
If I can see what's going on via home cameras then sure as eggs is eggs so can the people who sold me the app to do so.
They'd need a high boredom threshold though!
Depends on what's happenning.

They'll know when you're out of the house, and how long they'll have to do anything before you can get there.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
It's not so much the too lazy to adjust the thermostat, but surely too lazy to put on a fleece or jumper. Our thermostat has never changed in seven years, it's just the heating is either on or off and fleeces either on or off.

I am too lazy to trim the hedge properly because I hate the job, so I just tend to chainsaw off a couple of feet every so often. It soon grows back and has the advantage you can pick up branches rather than thousands of leaves.

petek

Über Member
Yep, hackers charter to go out robbing innit?
Tech is OK as far as it goes but there needs to be limits.
Getting KFC delivered now. That'd work for me except we're a good 30 miles off any KFCs.
It'd be cold by the time they got here plus the delivery dude would be out of pocket.
Nowt like KFC when you fancy it and nowt worse when you don't.
:smile:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I appreciate Hive etc let's you scratch your bum remotely using a mobile phone, but its the miniscule - if any at all - amount of time save being used as a prime selling point that promoted my question.

That they can be useful I wouldn't dispute. That they save any time, however, is wide open to challenge.

I had a great argument with Alexa the other day about playing me some Uriah Heep. Any time I may have saved over manually slipping a disc in the player was doubly negated by her surly, uncooperative attitude.

Top Bottom