Time saving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It would be great if you could store these ten seconds saved in a cupboard, and let them accumulate until one day you can open the cupboard door and take out an entire day to spend as you wish.

Alas, that isn't possible. The best you'll get is that ten seconds here and now, and what can you do with ten seconds suddenly thrust upon you? Read a book? Cut the grass? Do the washing up?

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4981880, member: 43827"]I've never really got this comparison.

You save 365 short ten minute periods which will not make a huge amount of practical difference.

It's not like the other longer periods when you can actually achieve something like rebuilding a bike or painting a couple of rooms..[/QUOTE]
Can all add up to time lost though. A minute late for your train/bus....

Colin_P

Guru
Maybe soon you'll be able to get an 'app' for it, which will allow you to set the pace, ergo when you want to go out for a ride, you set it to 'high' and thus save time by not having to do a warm up? :s

Joking aside. When I go for checkups they log into it wirelessly and we all have a good look at the telemetry on the screen to see if I've had any events. Once that is done they have to perform the lead integrity tests, there are two tests; one for each pacing cable, one forthe upper ventricle lead and one for the lower ventrical lead...

The upper lead test they say "increasing your heart rate in 3..2..1.. then the strangest feeling but this is bearable.

The lower lead test. Bit of explanation before hand... a normal heartbeat starts in the sinus node at the top of your heart then propagates downward and then comes part way back up. When they test the lower lead it propogates the heartbeat from the lower ventricle so your heart beats upsidedown. Freaks the hell out of me.

I'd rather kark it than habpve to buy a smart phone in order to work my pacemaker/defib!

An early evening beer buzz is something I miss, I cannot really touch the stuff these days.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
One of the pillars of modern marketing is the concept of 'cash rich-time poor', and it applies to all spheres of modern life.

All sorts of products and services are sold on the basis they'll save us time e.g. microwave food.

The Hive app isn't anything new, I'd say it's more of the same.

gbb

Legendary Member
Our house is never too cold.
The central heating is set to come on automatically if the temp falls below 16.
Combie boiler ensures hot water at all times (as long as the boiler's on). No hot water tank.
Far cry from my first property 30 years ago.
Ancient boiler and hot water by immersion heater.
Alarm went off at 6.30, ran into kitchen to put hot water on, into living room to put on the gas fire then back to bed for an hour.
Sometimes went to bed in winter wearing a jumper :cold:
Up and had a bath then got dressed in front of the fire!
Like primitive man compared to today's comfort and convenience.
Circa 1970 we (as kids then) used to wake up to frost on the I side of the windows.
But it hardens you...not that I'd know it I hate the cold but I did say to a doctor once (probably when i had pneumonia etc) about not liking the heat on at night ...that I do hate, and he replied it's a generational thing. Folk of 'my age' grew in houses without central heating and can cope quite well. The ''younger generation' who have grown up with central heating expect nothing else than a warm house.

classic33

Leg End Member
One of the pillars of modern marketing is the concept of 'cash rich-time poor', and it applies to all spheres of modern life.

All sorts of products and services are sold on the basis they'll save us time e.g. microwave food.

The Hive app isn't anything new, I'd say it's more of the same.
All that time you saved using them, where'd it go?

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Around 80% of the world population has no access to reliable heating. Instead they rely on basic instincts and mainly wood-fired direct heat. This probably isn't relevant to a wifi switch chat. Anyhoo, I prefer a wood stove to central heating and for once enjoy being a member of a global majority. Off for a bike ride.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
As cyclists, the Hive is actually really useful

Imagine it's a cold winter day and you decide it is perfect for a bike ride. You can set up your Hive so that as soon as you are a specific distance from the house on your bike the heating will turn off (or down or whatever). Only when you return to within a certain distance does the heating fire back up again

So no need to leave the heating on so it's warm when you get in, saving you money. And no possibility of coming home to a cold house after a ride and having to wait for the house to warm up again

So I can go for a 1 hour ride...but if I'm really enjoying it I can extend it to whatever, in the knowledge that the house will be warm when I get back and I haven't had to waste money leaving the heating on unnecessarily

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Circa 1970 we (as kids then) used to wake up to frost on the I side of the windows.
But it hardens you...not that I'd know it I hate the cold but I did say to a doctor once (probably when i had pneumonia etc) about not liking the heat on at night ...that I do hate, and he replied it's a generational thing. Folk of 'my age' grew in houses without central heating and can cope quite well. The ''younger generation' who have grown up with central heating expect nothing else than a warm house.
I recently re-read Brett Easton Ellis's Less Than Zero - a chilling account of life among the late-teens offspring of Hollywood money. Limitless money, designer clothes, brand new BMWs for your birthday, eating out, gigs, all the drugs and booze you can consume: want for nothing, and absolutely nothing you really want. To a man and woman they come across as vacuous, pointless, bereft of ambition or self-worth, and utterly dead inside. Give me frost on the windows any day...

Top Bottom