Time saving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Clearly the target market for Hive is those drivers whose time is so valuable that they need to squeeze you at a pinch point instead of waiting a few seconds until it's safe to pass.
No wonder they're doing so well, there's a large demographic who are complete idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The British Gas engineer left a leaflet during our annual service. It was quickly recycled.

The thought of Mrs Psb discovering she could turn on the heating while out is very distressing to me. It’s bad enough when she’s home!!! I’m of the put on a sweater persuasion, she complains the heating is off ***

*** usually the thermostat has reached the required, reasonable 18C, and switched off!

classic33

Leg End Member
The British Gas engineer left a leaflet during our annual service. It was quickly recycled.

The thought of Mrs Psb discovering she could turn on the heating while out is very distressing to me. It’s bad enough when she’s home!!! I’m of the put on a sweater persuasion, she complains the heating is off ***

*** usually the thermostat has reached the required, reasonable 18C, and switched off!
Look at it the other way round. You could turn the heating down whilst you're not there.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Clearly the target market for Hive is those drivers whose time is so valuable that they need to squeeze you at a pinch point instead of waiting a few seconds until it's safe to pass.

Eh? The benefit of a Hive is that you can control the heating remotely. It's nothing to do with not having to get out of your chair to adjust the thermostat

One of the coolest features is that you can set it up so that the heating automatically fires up when you get to within a certain distance of home. So if you get home at varying times, no need to faff with the timer at all. I love the idea that we might decide to come home from somewhere early on a cold day and when we get in, the heating has been on for the optimal time to warm the house and we've got plenty of hot water

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This is a little bit gimmicky for me. our thermostat is really old, but you can still set it to come on and off when you want. When we're out of the house, it will start and stop on a timer. When we're in the house we can just let the thermostat regulate itself or we can over-ride it manually. All this WiFi and Smart stuff is great, but there needs to be a problem first before you "solve" it with Smart technology IMHO.

classic33

Leg End Member
This is a little bit gimmicky for me. our thermostat is really old, but you can still set it to come on and off when you want. When we're out of the house, it will start and stop on a timer. When we're in the house we can just let the thermostat regulate itself or we can over-ride it manually. All this WiFi and Smart stuff is great, but there needs to be a problem first before you "solve" it with Smart technology IMHO.
I think the "energy companies/people pushing this are in cahoots with the mobile manufacturers. Sales of "smart phones" are dropping, this is just another way of increasing sales.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have a completely irregular home / work pattern and the "smart" technology ensures I never go home or wake up in a cold house.

This and the online tracking of usage has saved me a fortune, its paid for itself twice over.
How much time did you save though?

classic33

Leg End Member
Its not what its for.
It's the latest selling point, going from the opening post.

byegad

Legendary Member
For those of us that regard the invention of the TV remote as an unnecessary step too far, I can only see one 'beneficiary' of a house totally WiFi connected..... and it's not the home owner. Quite why I'd need to control a shower or central heating from my phone I can't see.

My central heating is thermostatically controlled in zones and has a sophisticated timer for each zone. It does everything I'll ever need it to do. Hook it up to the WiFi and anyone can hack in and see if I'm out, turn it full on when I'm away (To run up my bills) or turn it off when I want the house warm. Just because you can link the heating, or fridge to the internet it doesn't mean you should!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just because you can link the heating, or fridge to the internet it doesn't mean you should!
Sort of agree. Having your house warm when you get home might save you time, perhaps 30 seconds walking over to the thermostat, but on the other hand it's actually less "green". If we walk in the house and it's cold, we just keep our coats on until it's warm. Less energy used. Whatever the case, if a Wi-Fi house works for you then I'm not going to knock it. It's not the worst idea ever.

Mrs M

Guru
Our house is never too cold.
The central heating is set to come on automatically if the temp falls below 16.
Combie boiler ensures hot water at all times (as long as the boiler's on). No hot water tank.
Far cry from my first property 30 years ago.
Ancient boiler and hot water by immersion heater.
Alarm went off at 6.30, ran into kitchen to put hot water on, into living room to put on the gas fire then back to bed for an hour.
Sometimes went to bed in winter wearing a jumper :cold:
Up and had a bath then got dressed in front of the fire!
Like primitive man compared to today's comfort and convenience.

irw

Quadricyclist
I have a love hate relationship with technology, on one hand I refuse to get a smartphone and on the other I have an incredibly sophisticated bit of tech embedded in my chest which keeps my among the living. The defib / pacemaker is no doubt hackable by skynet and I will be among one of their first mind controlled soldiers.

Maybe soon you'll be able to get an 'app' for it, which will allow you to set the pace, ergo when you want to go out for a ride, you set it to 'high' and thus save time by not having to do a warm up? :s

Top Bottom