time to p*** off the motorists again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I owned cars from 1990 to 2007. I borrow my Mums occasionaly but don't miss not having one a bit.

We couldn't manage without one, currently - although we get by with one (most households on the road I live on have two or more, which makes parking - interesting for them, as most of us have room for one only on our drives).

I drive as well as cycle. Despite the casualty rate, I see a lot of pointless impatience, deliberate self distraction, needless aggression, complete failure to read road conditions and the road ahead, and agree largely with Lulabel's take on attitudes and road culture in the UK. The justice system fails to take a lot of this stuff seriously enough.

Motor cars could pay their way COMPLETELY by taxation, and run on non polluting pixie farts, and these things would still be true. They are useful tools, in the hands of people who are not taking the power they wield seriously enough. Is the op's idea a good one? No. Does that mean everything is rosy? Far from it.

Norm

ELEMENT - I ALL READY PAY VED FOR MY BICYCLES!!!!! £0!!!!!
Do you also pay for prostitutes, extortion, bribery and corruption?

No, you don't, just like you don't pay VED on a bike because not paying for something is not the same as paying nothing for something.

Some vehicles are in a band that has a VED of £0, bicycles are not in that category.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

No, you don't, just like you don't pay VED on a bike because not paying for something is not the same as paying nothing for something.

Some vehicles are in a band that has a VED of £0, bicycles are not in that category.
Norm. How do you know Gaz doesn't pay for prostitutes? Extortion, bribary and corruption- welk that could describe government or the banking sector and we all in effect support those.

apollo179

Bombay/Mumbai and across the bay from there.

Thats my neck of the woods .
Never driven though. Until recently you could buy an a day bus ticket for rs15 / 20pence although recently like the price of everything in mumbai its gone through the roof to rs25 (if i remember correctly).

while bikes are not in that category, if they were to be VED then, by logic they would have to sit alongside other zero emission vehicles

however, given that we're talking a government classification, that's unlikely ;)

Norm

while bikes are not in that category, if they were to be VED then, by logic they would have to sit alongside other zero emission vehicles
Indeed, as would horses, pedestrians (walking, jogging or running), skaters and skateboarders and the kids on those strange scooters.

But there isn't, so they don't.

WTF are motorised roads?
Sometimes, you really do need to take a step back and a deep breath you post, AFS. :rolleyes:

don't get petty, it's only an internet troll :biggrin:

Norm

[QUOTE 1544283"] Ironic that a simple typo is made aware by someone with a lack of grammer. [/quote] Ironic indeed, if it was a simple typo.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

Elements point is that cyclists should contribute to the roads, and he suggest we do so by paying road tax. Which as you are aware would mean we would pay no more than we already do.
So apart from the 'status' of having VED there is no difference

Bicycle

I haven't said anything to annoy motorists in a while (if ever ) so I thought I would have a go at putting forward my idea of improving road safety. It goes something like this. Most people are online or have access to computers so I propose that the perception test for drivers is posted online with every driver having to retake it every 12 months 3 attempts to get it right if you fail after 3. A mandatory full re test The purpose of this would be to remind drivers to be aware of their surroundings and stop them driving on automatic. (Hang on a minute while I get my flak gear)

This has been was (at times) an interesting and illuminating discussion.

The jury seems hung.

As things are (and I'm not in favour of radical change) I feel significantly less exposed in a car than I do on a bicycle.

Further, I cannot imagine a strengthened training, testing, re-testing and re-training system that would make me feel any less exposed on a bicycle.

I believe that the current move towards driver training workshops in place of or in addition to prosecution for various offences is a positive move. As the offender bears the cost, it's also fiscally smart.

I certainly feel that when I'm cycling, I am at times a second-class road user. I am harder to see than a car, more exposed to the risk of injury and enjoying at all times a full and frank dialogue with whatever the Heavens want to throw at me.

Truly, I wouldn't have it any other way. Nor will it ever be any other way, de facto. Laws may be tweaked, but the underlying reality will always be so.

The police are thorough, the courts do what they can and legislators are (for the most part) clever and thoughtful people who take their responsibilities seriously.

I have many good driving memories, but far more good cycling ones. I don't suppose that will ever change either.

I drive as well as cycle. Despite the casualty rate, I see a lot of pointless impatience, deliberate self distraction, needless aggression, complete failure to read road conditions and the road ahead, and agree largely with Lulabel's take on attitudes and road culture in the UK. The justice system fails to take a lot of this stuff seriously enough.

Motor cars could pay their way COMPLETELY by taxation, and run on non polluting pixie farts, and these things would still be true. They are useful tools, in the hands of people who are not taking the power they wield seriously enough. Is the op's idea a good one? No. Does that mean everything is rosy? Far from it.

+1

Element, do you see me as a less deserving user of the road when on my bicycle?

Do you consider me someone who does not contribute in the same way as you do for the use of our roads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom