time to p*** off the motorists again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some of you should really travel the world a bit go and witness the carnage on the roads in Asia

That's twice you've pulled that verbal trick. I call your bluff - what experience do you have of witnessing the roads of Asia.

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
Shouldnt it be climate change anyway as you cant argue with that description as the climate changes all the time anyway!

Cars are taxed because they can be and people will gladly pay it as there a nessecity in the modern world, pollution is just the excuse they use to justify it!

cars are not a necessity for all. Our family got one 8 years ago because we wanted one not needed it. Yes it's handy at times but it's not a necessity.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
[QUOTE 1544262"]
I wonder if element is the plum who just breezed my elbow in his corsa and then told me that he knows he'd given me enough room because he's been riding a bike for 10 years?
[/quote]
No chance, he didn't tell you to get in a cycle lane. :biggrin:
Anyway it sounds like E driver a "real mans car", you know some 6L 500bhp monster.

I completely fail to understand

yes, yes you do.

right, each bit individually:

Car drivers pay around 32 billion in direct taxation each year, that is VED and fuel tax.
ok, fair enough
If you were to include the automotive industry who contibute over ten billion and then the oil companies 9 billion, not too mention 2 million speeding fines paid every year as well as taxes paid by the 800 thousand people employed in the UK in the automotive industry that is alot of money coming from the motorists pocket.

But the council / income tax of someone who works in the automotive industry counts towards the total collected by council tax and income tax, it does not count towards the total collected from the motorist.
Despite this you still get guardian reading fools on bicycles constantly demonising car drivers. Hippies on bikes are contributing nothing financially to the country so why do I detect such self rightious indigation from the cyclists on this board who are too narrow minded to concieve of a problem outside their own experience.

because you're refusing to listen to what people are saying, people who have had this argument over and over again, been used as references for various news stories on it and as for contributing, this board is home to doctors, lawyers, engineers, truck drivers and many other professions who each pay their council tax, VED etc

the only thing we're not contributing to is congestion as many of us choose to commute by bike, holding you up for 30 seconds before you get to the back of the next queue instead of being another car on the road.

I completely fail to understand why, when the road casualty rate is so low people still have nothing better to complain about than car drivers, many cyclists won't even use the cycle lanes available as they are too bumpy for their fragile road bike. If you cannot even use a cycle lane in an effort to preserve your own safety why should every other road user have to jump through hoops to make the safe English roads even safer ?

my road bike's wheels are strong enough to cope with cobbles, dirt tracks and bridal ways but I rarely use a cycle lane as it does one of three things:

1) goes along a pavement that is shared with pedestrians and small children - my average riding speed is 15mph, I don't think its safe / fair to endanger children walking to the park by my riding (I do however use them if i'm unable to keep my speed up due to tiredness, injury or mechanical problems)

2) puts me right in the gutter where cars won't see me easily, squeeze past when it's too narrow and so much debris that I need to regally swerve round it - would you run over a dead badger / house brick / half a tree in your car? on a bike it can make me fall off and end up under a car.

3) they often don't go where I'm wanting to go, or are short stretches that serve no purpose, such as the 10 meter one near me that literally is a bit of green paint at the side of the road over a cross roads, then it ends again.

the hoop we want people to jump through, is to treat us like they do horses, give us a bit of space, except we're not expecting people to crawl past us.

Some of you should really travel the world a bit go and witness the carnage on the roads in Asia then, instead of moaning all the time about nothing you may become appreciative of how easy and safe life is for a cyclist in England.

been to holland, cycled in poland, denmark and Mallorca

feel most at risk cycling in England as people push past clipping me with their door mirror, not waiting until the road is clear to overtake etc.
A friend of mine lived and cycled in India for a year with no problems, they expect bikes from all sides, it took him some time to get used to cycling here.

element

Ridden across Vetnam and prolific use of knackered old bikes in Thailand Cambodia Laos Indonesia and visits to Malaysia and a few other places outside asia. This was generally on 125cc mopeds the bicycles there tend to be pretty basic and for me were unrideable especially in Saigon traffic.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Ridden across Vetnam and prolific use of knackered old bikes in Thailand Cambodia Laos Indonesia and visits to Malaysia and a few other places outside asia. This was generally on 125cc mopeds the bicycles there tend to be pretty basic and for me were unrideable especially in Saigon traffic.
So no cycling experience then?

Bicycle

yes, yes you do.

been to holland, cycled in poland, denmark and Mallorca

feel most at risk cycling in England as people push past clipping me with their door mirror, not waiting until the road is clear to overtake etc.

I agree that the Nedherlands is a cycling paradise. France also. Mmmmmmm....

I've never cycled in Denmark so can't comment.

I'm surprised that you think Poland is better than the UK for cycling. I've driven there and was troubled by much of what I saw.

I've driven in India but not cycled. I think bicycles do OK there because there are so many of them. I'd agree that they get a good deal. However, many roads out of town are very poor.

My worst experience was in Bosnia. Not only are drivers unaccustomed to bicycles, they also have very slippery roads from November to April. The Government there is not on top of climate control and they let it get jolly cold when it doesn't really need to be.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
cars are not a necessity for all. Our family got one 8 years ago because we wanted one not needed it. Yes it's handy at times but it's not a necessity.
For some (such as Element) they are penis extenders.
I owned cars from 1990 to 2007. I borrow my Mums occasionaly but don't miss not having one a bit.

Ridden across Vetnam

generally on 125cc mopeds

ROFLMAO - fair enough - I think my experience might just trump Element's silly little tourist breaks (on mopeds, ffs), and hopefully do something to make him think about his perceptions of cyclists. :tongue:

Have you, Element, taken a motorbike from Scotland, down through Italy, up into Yugoslavia, and back - most of it in the worst rainstorm for 30 years. Kinda beats a bit of p***ing around on mopeds.

Have you driven from Cairo to Aswan, using both the main roads, and alternative routes using the other bank of the Nile? Or the Red Sea route? 30 years ago before the massive improvements due to tourism improved the road infrastructure? In a Renault 4? No? Oh dear; I have.

Have you used an ancient Chinese Flying Pigeon bike as your main transport for two years in an Egyptian city? No? Oh dear; I have. And I'll tell you for nothing - give me the choice between the mad (but systematic) craziness of Egyptian driving, and the casual, careless, stupid, self-righteous "I-pay-for-the-road" arrogance of an English (your choice of word) driver, and I'll take Egypt; every time.

Have you driven a 4x4 (Landrovers, Landcruisers, Daihatsus, Suzukis, and Nivas) extensively through, over, and around the mountains of SW Arabia, for years, as part of your job and for pleasure? Some on the few roads - but mostly on wildly unfriendly rock strewn "tracks". No? Oh dear - again, I have. Salt for the pwn - I got PAID for it :tongue:

Have you explored the Empty Quarter? How far did you get in? 4 days? No? Umm - do you even know where it is? Aye, but I have.

Have you driven extensively in the Sahel - again as part of your job and for pleasure, over several years; in desert, savannah, and forest; in dry season and wet season? No? Oh dear, I have - this is getting boring. More salt for the pwn - again, I was getting paid for it.

Can you rescue a 4x4 from a swamp? No? Pity - I've done it.

Have you managed a fleet of motorcycles, and the riders' personal safety, again in the Sahel for many years? No? Come on, you need to try harder.

Have you ridden 250cc motorbikes off-road in the Sahelian wet season, travelling around 60-70 isolated villages - again as part of your job and for pleasure? No? Oh dear, I have.

Have you driven 212km on the roads of Senegal with a dangerously ill member of your family - in 1 hour and 20 minutes? I thought not - the professional drivers on my staff refused to tackle the drive and insisted I do it cos I'd be better at it.

How better to show you're not just a troll, but an ignorant and stupid troll, who doesn't recognise a ******* great elephant trap set for him. :whistle:

Please continue to show your ignorance - it's getting quite enjoyable. But ffs, just remember that more than a few of the cyclists you think it's fun to troll and insult might just have more than enough driving experience to make you look like a total ****wit, who shouldn't have been allowed a provisional licence.

apollo179

I've driven in India but not cycled. I think bicycles do OK there because there are so many of them. I'd agree that they get a good deal. However, many roads out of town are very poor.

Car ownership in india is pretty much reserved to the wealthy and increasingly wealthy middle classes. However as these tend to be principally urban dwellers even these people dont usually need to own a car as public transport is so cheap and frequent that owning a car is unnessecary and also taxis are quite cheap.
125cc motorbikes are more common in india . You can buy a brand new honda kawasaki etc for about £500 equivalent.
Push bikes are used as appropriate but i woudnt say there is the same bikecentricity in india as in some other countries.
edit - where abouts did you drive in india Bicycle - just curious no other reason.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
ROFLMAO - fair enough - I think my experience might just trump your silly little tourist breaks (on mopeds, ffs). :tongue:

Have you taken a motorbike from Scotland, down through Italy, up into Yugoslavia, and back - most of it in the worst rainstorm for 30 years. Kinda beats a bit of p***ing around on mopeds.

Have you driven from Cairo to Aswan, using both the main roads, and alternative routes using the other bank of the Nile? Or the Red Sea route? 30 years ago before the massive improvements due to tourism improved the road infrastructure? In a Renault 4? No? Oh dear; I have.

Have you used an ancient Chinese Flying Pigeon bike as your main transport for two years in an Egyptian city? No? Oh dear; I have. And I'll tell you for nothing - give me the choice between the mad (but systematic) craziness of Egyptian driving, and the casual, careless, stupid, self-righteous "I-pay-for-the-road" arrogance of an English (your choice of word) driver, and I'll take Egypt; every time.

Have you driven a 4x4 (Landrovers, Landcruisers, Daihatsus, Suzukis, and Nivas) extensively through, over, and around the mountains of SW Arabia, for years, as part of your job and for pleasure? Some on the few roads - but mostly on wildly unfriendly rock strewn "tracks". No? Oh dear - again, I have. Salt for the pwn - I got PAID for it :tongue:

Have you explored the Empty Quarter? How far did you get in? 4 days? No? Umm - do you even know where it is? Aye, but I have.

Have you driven extensively in the Sahel - again as part of your job and for pleasure, over several years; in desert, savannah, and forest; in dry season and wet season? No? Oh dear, I have - this is getting boring. More salt for the pwn - again, I was getting paid for it.

Can you rescue a 4x4 from a swamp? No? Pity - I've done it.

Have you managed a fleet of motorcycles, and the riders' personal safety, again in the Sahel for many years? No? Come on, you need to try harder.

Have you ridden 250cc motorbikes off-road in the Sahelian wet season, travelling around 60-70 isolated villages - again as part of your job and for pleasure? No? Oh dear, I have.

Have you driven 212km on the roads of Senegal with a dangerously ill member of your family - in 1 hour and 20 minutes? I thought not - the professional drivers on my staff refused to tackle the drive and insisted I do it cos I'd be better at it.

How better to show you're not just a troll, but an ignorant and stupid troll, who doesn't recognise a ******* great elephant trap set for him. :whistle:

Please continue to show your ignorance - it's getting quite enjoyable. But ffs, just remember that more than a few of the cyclists you think it's fun to troll and insult might just have more than enough driving experience to make you look like a total ****wit, who shouldn't have been allowed a provisional licence.
:bravo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom