time to p*** off the motorists again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

GV has it spot on, but it is more complicated than that.

Little is transported by rail now. Gone are the days when firms like Lyons had their own siding and rail depot in Greenford. Canals also carry the square root of f**k all in terms of freight and Budgie Post never really took off.

Almost everything goes by road.

Without the road network most of us would be without most of what sustains us.

I'm a keen cyclist, but I do not think it is helpful to think in terms of one group of road users subsidising another, even when only in response to a slightly barmy point from another contributor.

We all pay for education, whether we have children or not.

We all pay for municipal housing, whether we need it or not.

We all pay for overseas troop deployments, whether we have a personal beef with Gaddafi or not.

These things cost money and are thought to contribute to the common good. Maybe some more than others...

Without roads and the associated infrastructure, we would need significantly to alter the way we live and the way we function as a society.

I take cyclists' complaints about road wear about as seriously than those from my hill-walking friends about how much damage I do with my MTB. :rolleyes:

abo

I personally have no respect for a grown man who does not have a car or motorbike unless they have a medical problem or they live in London or similar city

Really? Hahaha you're pretty weak...

OP
OP
rowan 46

rowan 46

Über Member
I have to say I have read this thread and found it entertaining, I run a forum and wether you ride a pushbike, motorbike or drive a car you will get threads like this so its nothing new.
I have to say I would like to see no more forced legislation, regular retests seem to be a common proporsition however for a start people struggle to get a first test let alone the logistics for retests!
Then theres the problem of thnose that would fail, loss of jobs possibly and then theres the poor unfortunate disabled people. no probs hey lets leave them housebound.

People have gone on about how the tes should be harder, well the test is nothing more than a competancy test all the real learning is done after ouve passed, well it was for me as i regard myself as a better driver now than i was just after passing, yet if i took my test again i could infact fail on some minor point that is useless in everyday driving.

Someone suggested that before doing a test we should spend 6 months on a bike, hey why not go further do tiime on motorbikes, lorries buses am sure that wouldnt cause the accident stats to rise at all utter nonsense and anyway most people have served longer on bikes as upto the age of 16 a push bike is all you can ride, i also dont remember moaning about driving standards as a child hell how did we survive!
One thing I do agree with is that the hpt is pointless I passed mine after I had been driving for nearly 20 years and it really doesnt apply to actual road use imo!
As for the op, way to go why would you want to deliberatly piss off any road user, surely as a cyclist not actually knowing what a traffic light is or is used for probaly pisses off motorists already!

I think most people people knew I was being tongue in about deliberately p******g off the motorists. they immediately react to any idea to take their license as a personal affront. (quite justifiably as I feel the same about my cycling) the fact is there are something over 200 000 traffic accidents with car drivers not paying attention being the largest cause of accident at 38% the idea was to look at how to get people to pay attention when driving. asking nicely isn't going to cut it I'm afraid. welcome to cycle chat by the way

techno

What absolute tosh!

As a society we have become in thrall to the motor vehicle and, it would appear, willing to excuse any behaviour by motorists.

Many of the things that have been suggested, such a mandatory regular retesting, which you seem to think will bring about meltdown and hardship are already in use in other jurisdictions - and hasn't brounght about the apocalypse there.

Driving is a privilege - not a right - and it's about time we started really reinforcing this.

What absolute tosh, well its well placed as 95% of this thread is exactly the same, bullshit knee jerk reactions!

People do get given retests those who are deemed to need it when caught driving in a certain manner, probably 99% of motorists are more than fine otherwise the accident figures would be considerably worse!

Note I am not saying everyone drives well, on the contrary I do wonder myself how the hell some people actually passed a basic test, those people are a problem not everyone, those are the ones that want targeting, but as we see more commonly in this day that its easier to hit everyone than target the true problem, nice to see some of you see this as acceptable behaviour!

element

You Sir are a prick of the highest order.

Very good did that extremely clever reply take much work ?

Just to help those who are clearly mentally deficient

Car drivers pay around 32 billion in direct taxation each year, that is VED and fuel tax. If you were to include the automotive industry who contibute over ten billion and then the oil companies 9 billion, not too mention 2 million speeding fines paid every year as well as taxes paid by the 800 thousand people employed in the UK in the automotive industry that is alot of money coming from the motorists pocket.
Despite this you still get guardian reading fools on bicycles constantly demonising car drivers. Hippies on bikes are contributing nothing financially to the country so why do I detect such self rightious indigation from the cyclists on this board who are too narrow minded to concieve of a problem outside their own experience.
I completely fail to understand why, when the road casualty rate is so low people still have nothing better to complain about than car drivers, many cyclists won't even use the cycle lanes available as they are too bumpy for their fragile road bike. If you cannot even use a cycle lane in an effort to preserve your own safety why should every other road user have to jump through hoops to make the safe English roads even safer ?
Some of you should really travel the world a bit go and witness the carnage on the roads in Asia then, instead of moaning all the time about nothing you may become appreciative of how easy and safe life is for a cyclist in England.

... now you can detail some of the costs of motor vehicles to the economy for us.

I should point out that I'm a long way from the hippie stereotype in your posts. Yes, I have long hair and (sometimes) a beard, but I drive an articulated lorry for my living and own two cars, one of which is a 3 litre 4x4 and the other of which gets free "road tax". But I'm under no illusions as to the true cost of our love affair with the internal combustion engine.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Very good did that extremely clever reply take much work ?

Just to help those who are clearly mentally deficient

Car drivers pay around 32 billion in direct taxation each year, that is VED and fuel tax. If you were to include the automotive industry who contibute over ten billion and then the oil companies 9 billion, not too mention 2 million speeding fines paid every year as well as taxes paid by the 800 thousand people employed in the UK in the automotive industry that is alot of money coming from the motorists pocket.
Despite this you still get guardian reading fools on bicycles constantly demonising car drivers. Hippies on bikes are contributing nothing financially to the country so why do I detect such self rightious indigation from the cyclists on this board who are too narrow minded to concieve of a problem outside their own experience.
I completely fail to understand why, when the road casualty rate is so low people still have nothing better to complain about than car drivers, many cyclists won't even use the cycle lanes available as they are too bumpy for their fragile road bike. If you cannot even use a cycle lane in an effort to preserve your own safety why should every other road user have to jump through hoops to make the safe English roads even safer ?
Some of you should really travel the world a bit go and witness the carnage on the roads in Asia then, instead of moaning all the time about nothing you may become appreciative of how easy and safe life is for a cyclist in England.
By England do you mean the UK?
2nd by your logic, low emission cars are a bad thing.
3rd every tax payer pays for the roads. Car drivers pay because of the damage they cause and the amount they polute.
Finaly having no respect for an adult without a car is the same a shouting in a very loud voice "I have no Penis".

techno

Anyone who posts this is probably beyond reasoned argument. Although if Element does have peer reviewed and widely accepted, scientifically rigorous work to suggest that man made global warming is a fallacy, I'd be interested to read it.

Shouldnt it be climate change anyway as you cant argue with that description as the climate changes all the time anyway!

Cars are taxed because they can be and people will gladly pay it as there a nessecity in the modern world, pollution is just the excuse they use to justify it!

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 1544252"]
He's making the age-old mistake of forgetting that we're all car drivers. There are two in our house.
[/quote]

That's a bit extreme. Most people keep them in the garage or the driveway

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
<br><br>Shouldnt it be climate change anyway as you cant argue with that description as the climate changes all the time anyway!<br><br>Cars are taxed because they can be and people will gladly pay it as there a nessecity in the modern world, pollution is just the excuse they use to justify it!<br>
Thing is :troll: s live under bridges so have little knowledge of weather.
Also I wonder if Element ir J.Clarkson :whistle:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Clarkson would have a long way to fall before he becomes as predictable and unfunny as "element"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom