Time Trial PB's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I know, 4 or 5 seconds......
It will come.
I missed last nights TT - had back trouble and then groin trouble after a particularly violent massage :whistle:
Annoying as this is the business end of the season, generally good conditions mean we should be flying.
I hope so , ive just entered the H25/2 open to try for under the hour again . I need 4 minutes + though and ive already got 4 minutes off a 25 this season :eek:

huwsparky

Über Member
I compare my efforts with faster riders , especially heart rates .

There no point in you comparing your heart rate to faster riders or any other riders for that point.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm not sure what i'm doing to be honest but doing 25's is teaching me more than going hell for leather on 10's .

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I tend to use my garmin for HR and cadence too, HR just so I keep it at "my" maximum (or somewhere near) ocasionally glancing at it that's all, don't bother about speed. Cadence to try and maintain 90 ish as I tend to drop too low if I'm not careful.
My max hr on a 10 is prob 174 at age 44, I know older and younger people who are higher (also slower than me ^_^) the reverse is also true of course - there are a fair few quicker!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive just removed the cadence sensor from my TT bike . It was a sticky out box with a wire and sensor , i figured it was causing more drag than doing any good as i never looked at it . I look at heart rate and try and keep it down as much as i can .

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Ive just removed the cadence sensor from my TT bike . It was a sticky out box with a wire and sensor , i figured it was causing more drag than doing any good as i never looked at it . I look at heart rate and try and keep it down as much as i can .
That's funny, I try to keep mine up! I have a habit of "easing off" so try to maintain 160-170 for a constant "push".

I'm not sure what HR is best for me. This year I've been running at 90-92% (172-185bpm) and it naturally ramps up to near max in the last mile but my best tt last year was around 95% (190bpm) from the start ramping up to the same finish. I am faster this year but I've had a complete change of bike type (modified sportive road bike to dedicated TT) and last year in the back of my mind was a stronger performance :-/

huwsparky

Über Member
@HLaB I'm guessing the reason your not sure what heart rate is the best for you as it will be different from day to day. Riding to a Particular HR on a 10 or 25 is pretty much guarantee you won't do as well as well as you could.

I always have a look at HR after most rides but hardly ever during as it doesn't really mean anything. For the 10 I did my average was 182bpm

Over a period of time with power data it can be used pretty accurately though to calculate fitness improvement.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The heart rate thing is just something i noticed with other faster riders . While i was busting a gut in zone 5 they where beating me by massive amounts and in Z3-4 .
So i have tried to calm myself down and think about things , where i need to give the effort more etc . It seems to be working in training and racing .

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The heart rate thing is just something i noticed with other faster riders . While i was busting a gut in zone 5 they where beating me by massive amounts and in Z3-4 .
So i have tried to calm myself down and think about things , where i need to give the effort more etc . It seems to be working in training and racing .
:hello:

huwsparky

Über Member
Your pacing must have been pretty bad though if you were getting into Zone 5 heart rate for your TT's. No wonder your noticing your times are improving!

You shouldn't spend any time over a short/medium distance time trial in zone 3 heart rate either, I mean this feels pretty easy up to well over 2 hours riding.

Again, theres no point in you looking at other (faster or slower) peoples heart rate as it won't do anything for you. They have their physiology and you have yours. There's not one way you can use anyone elses heart rate to improve yourself.

Don't know if you watched TdF ITV4 highlights this year. In one of the rest day programmes they were talking about Chris Froome's physiology results. He can make somewhere in the region of 500-550w @ 155 bpm or thereabouts, can't remember exactly. For your reference if your doing a 25min 10 your probably doing around 280w ish average for that ride. My point being, Froome can make this kind of power for that heart rate at the end of a stage having ridden 4 hours + @25mph, you or I, could have trained 20,000 miles a week since being 15 years old and never even come close to this. In all likelihood wee'd be a little bit fitter than now but probably not a huge amount as our physiology is our biggest limiting factor.

S-Express

I look at heart rate and try and keep it down as much as i can

Not sure why you would do this on a 10. Your HR should be nailed to the red line for pretty much the whole distance. In fact, as others have said, just don't even look at it, as it is a poor guide to high effort anyway.

Top Bottom