Titanium or Carbon for new road bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Van Nick

Hi everyone,

Summer is fast approaching and I am in the market for a new road bike. I will mainly be using the bike for personal fitness rides of about 30 to 35 miles and I have a budget of £1,500 to £2,000.

I can't rule out the possibility of maybe a week's touring as well, although that's probably stretching the capabilities of a road bike.

My big conundrum is whether to go for titanium or carbon.

I am 6' 2" and 14 stone and worry that carbon bikes are too delicate, although I'm sure that much heavier riders than myself have carbon road bikes.

Titanium sounds great, but somehow they just look a little bit boring.

I was looking at Van Nicholas (hence my user name) and Enigma for titanium and Colnago and De Rosa for carbon.

I liked the idea of an Italian bike, but was quite disappointed to see that the Colnagos are now made in the far east, but I guess that's just the way of the world now.

I guess I just want a nice looking bike for my budget.

Any help with regards to this conundrum would be most appreciated as I'm sure that it's one that other readers must have as well. :smile:

Last year I went for carbon, as ti was just above my budget. I love the carbon bike but if I could of afforded it I think I would of went for ti based on its strength and robustness.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

Yes, I know titanium isn't indestructible. There was a recent thread on one of the Bike Radar forums and the OP had posted pictures of his Litespeed frame which appeared to have a large tear along one of the tubes.

Does anyone have any opinions over whether Van Nicholas or Enigma is the better manufacturer ? Enigma seem to be much more expensive.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

Hi Wafflycat,

Thanks for suggesting Sunday Bikes. I'm not sure that I like their matt finish with the bright orange sticker, but maybe it's just the photography.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

Thanks WafflyCat.

Looks like they are about to launch some new bikes, so I'll check their website later on to see what they are like.

walker

Carbon is more comfortable that Ti, so if you plan on doing Longer distances then I would advise Carbon, if you want a year round bike, something that will do for the winter also, I would go for the Ti.

MichaelM

Guru
Walker says
"Carbon is more comfortable that Ti, so if you plan on doing Longer distances then I would advise Carbon "

I'll think you'll find this isn't the case at all................certainly no review I've ever read (C+ or anywhere else) has suggested that Carbon is more comfortable than Ti. Stiffer - probably - more comfortable for long rides - certainly NOT !

More robust than carbon - proably yes (if you discount the thin walled Ghisallo).

I know which material I;d prefer I I was doing a 5 or 6 hour (or longer) sportive - Ti every TIme !

walker said:
Carbon is more comfortable that Ti, so if you plan on doing Longer distances then I would advise Carbon, if you want a year round bike, something that will do for the winter also, I would go for the Ti.

Could you qualify that comment? I've test rode a selection of both and comfort wise, ti wins hands down. That is why I now own a Lynskey.

Speak to Jason Burls www.burls.co.uk

Oh by the way I forgot to mention I own a Vortex and Airborne Zepp - they're like riding on a carpet.

I could feel the difference (compared to my old steel 853) the first time I built the Zepp up and rode it up the rode to test the gears.

The Vortex is just that bit stiffer (6/4 as opposed to 3/25 Ti) and to mind mind is difficult to beat.

Top Bottom