Titanium ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The ride quality depends on the tube diameter, profile and wall thickness. Titanium can be built for ultralight riders or for heavyweights. The economics really depend on how much submarine and nuclear construction is going on. In downtimes, the material and the skilled welders are available for other products.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I have a Spa Cycles Elan in Ti. The price wasn’t far off my Surly DT (steel) so price can be ruled out. It is lighter. It is faster. It is as comfortable as my tourer in a different way. And at 73kg (me not the bike) I have never noticed any wobblyness. For me, this bike was very much about getting something of beauty that would suit as an Audax bike. It has about 2k on the clock (km) and about the same used on my Kickr Snap. In my opinion I made a very good choice.

The ONLY thing which would make it more beautiful would be orange bar tape.

You have the bike, I'm dithering over, is yours the disc version ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do go look at it and ride. I considered it but the price certainly reflects the quality of the finish. The welds were messy compared to Enigna and J Guillem bikes I tested/considered

PX also a decent option @ianrauk can help out on finish quality p

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
6513F89F-AAC4-4BA9-AAC4-8440AE965F86.jpeg

Yes. Discs. I have Archetype H PLUS SON upgraded wheels and Schmidt Dynamo hub and brights. I also fitted a light Tubus rack. Such an adaptable bike and I love the aesthetics of the sloping top tube. For the price, it’s extraordinarily good value.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Van Nicholas is such a classy brand, I drool when I see one - they are the Maserati of bikes IMO.

Well.. I'm not going to disagree with that statement :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do go look at it and ride. I considered it but the price certainly reflects the quality of the finish. The welds were messy compared to Enigna and J Guillem bikes I tested/considered

PX also a decent option @ianrauk can help out on finish quality p

Thanks Vik.

Yep, the Planet X Ti bikes and frames are very well made, very clean and tidy welds. The finish is top notch imo.
They are designed by former Enigma man Mark Reilly and can be had for not a lot of money too. Either as frames or as bikes.
The Hurricane Audax disc frame is £600 at the moment which is a steal.

Reilly makes some truly gorgeous titanium bikes

As above

Frame as bought
20170324_145024-jpg.jpg

And built up
23915714_10155362302740958_4476598412096517397_n-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Siclo

Veteran
Another option: a pal of mine rides a stainless steel Starley, made in Cheshire. It's super smooth:

http://road.cc/content/news/89237-sneak-peek-starley-jks-stainless-frameset

Oh, I've just remebered that I posted about this a few months ago:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/ive-just-ridden-a-stainless-steel-starley-bike-oh-my.211962/

Not sure whats going on with Starley, the shop's disappeared recently to be replaced with a branch of 50 cycles, it's now listed as being round the corner in what was a house that was converted to an office. The website has gone too, taken together it don't look good.

OP
OP
Hedgemonkey

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Thanks Vik.

Yep, the Planet X Ti bikes and frames are very well made, very clean and tidy welds. The finish is top notch imo.
They are designed by former Enigma man Mark Reilly and can be had for not a lot of money too. Either as frames or as bikes.
The Hurricane Audax disc frame is £600 at the moment which is a steal.

As above

Frame as bought
View attachment 399983

And built up
View attachment 399984

I was delivering steel just round the corner from PX warehouse yesterday, I could have picked one up. It could be a stable mate for my carbon Maratona.

Top Bottom