To Brooks, or not Brooks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ruraldean

Regular
Hi. Having decided to cherish my old but immaculate Pioneer Trail rather than upscale, my mind has turned to the question of saddles. At the moment I'm doing a leisurely 10km every couple of days, so nothing earth shattering, but I've fancied a Brooks saddle ever since starting riding again.
So, Brooks or not, fully sprung or not? I'm 65 and 15 stone if that helps.
No need to insult me, i have scales and mirrors. :becool:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
i would but then I've got 8 Brooks now, the sprung ones weigh a fair bit the standard ones less so but still a bit 'weighty' and the Titanium rail ones are the lightest (but more expensive)

My favourite is my B17n (narrow)

I've been using a Brooks B66 for a few years now on one of my bikes. It is comfy for me, and the springs may help with this. This is my first and only Brooks to date. Got it second hand, with a leather saddle bag, for 30 quid. My other bike has a five quid saddle bought locally, which is just as comfortable I'd say. It's all a lottery with saddles - striving to find the least uncomfortable one.

hoopdriver

Guru
I've ridden on nothing but Brooks saddles for over 35 years. As we all know, saddles are highly personal things - what is great for one is awful for another - but Brooks have been around for an awful lot of years and have an awful lot of loyal fans (like me) who will ride on nothing else. I have never found them difficult to break in, not in the least, and so comfortable that I don't give my saddle the least bit of thought. I ride a lot. I used one on a 10,000-mile trek around Australia - that was 24 years ago. I stll have it, and use it. THey last forever.

I have a Brooks Flyer on my "transport" bike which I originally used for similar distances to what you describe. It took a while to break in, and I noticed it became comfortable much faster when I stared riding longer distances. That was over a decade ago and it remains comfortable.

I've just got the same saddle for my commuting bike and I'm having the same experience but as I go touring on the commuter the process is much faster.

I don't have a well padded backside so at first I had to wear padded shorts. After a while the saddle stretched and I could use it with my work clothes.

Shreds

Brooks leather saddles on all my bikes amd wouldnt ride without one.

They just keep going and are so comfortable.

Again I have never had a problem breaking them in, they need occasional TLC but that is all. Second hand though may mean it is already shaped to somone else!

Brooks may be expensive but they are durable and last.. (you may find springs on those that incorporate them occasionally squeak).

A B72 which is without springs should be able to cope with most riders and weights.

if you want a bargain, try someone like Swinnertons, who occasionally have amazing deals on Brooks.

https://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/components-c169/saddles-c262/brooks-saddle-b17-p87741

Let us know how you go on after a couple of thousand miles....

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I bought my first Brooks down here which I found in the back of a bike shop filthy dirty and bought for three quid, it’s a Swallow and i find it comfortable.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Isn't that a Swift

1602752832496.png

The Swallow has a metal plate underneath the middle.

There are always the spa cycles clones - which maybe better VFM (50% cheaper) given your mileage.

Low risk really - you will get back close to what you paid for it if you don't get on with it.

alicat

Legendary Member
I love my Brooks saddles. I've never seen the need for springs in saddles. You've got some in your knees, anyway. ^_^

GuyBoden

Guru
I like the big spring saddles on tourer type more upright rides, but if you're on the drops a lot, I don't find them very comfy. Maybe, I should tilt the nose down a touch.

Top Bottom