To Brooks, or not Brooks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I've ridden on nothing but Brooks saddles for over 35 years. As we all know, saddles are highly personal things - what is great for one is awful for another - but Brooks have been around for an awful lot of years and have an awful lot of loyal fans (like me) who will ride on nothing else. I have never found them difficult to break in, not in the least, and so comfortable that I don't give my saddle the least bit of thought. I ride a lot. I used one on a 10,000-mile trek around Australia - that was 24 years ago. I stll have it, and use it. THey last forever.

No they don't ! The leather on mine split after only 50 years :cursing:

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
:rolleyes: aged 65 you say.Methinks a Spa saddle might be better value.At 65 you might not have time to break a Brooks in :whistle::smile:

I have a couple of Spa saddles which I find to be OK, but definitely not as good as a brooks'

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Beautiful a work of art.
Aye they're a lovely saddle, I've got one of the Titanium Rail models on the TT bike,

geocycle

Legendary Member
Yes, go for it. Had a B17 for 15 years and a Ti B17 for 2 years. Long since given up padded shorts. Had a Spa for a while but couldn’t get on with it. My older b17 took a lot of breaking in, maybe 1000 miles until either me or the saddle had reached a compromise. The Ti Brooks was fine from day 1 although seems thinner leather. There is a lot of variation in natural leather but I suspect they have become thinner over time as their clientele have changed.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Brooks saddles are not all the same.
A Swift was too narrow for me, and was horrid, a B17 Std is a bit too wide and is merely OK, but a Team Pro is just right.

A large part of breaking in a Brooks for new users isn't breaking in the saddle, but just getting used to riding something hard. Once you are used to them, a break in period is neither necessary, nor very noticeable. I once did an 18 hour, 250 mile ride as the first ride on a Team Pro, apart from 3 or 4 quarter mile loops round the block getting the position just right.

They don't last for ever, with current models lasting less well than those produced 20 or 30 years ago.
I find that the leather splits where it flexes at the end of the cantle plate. What I've heard is that it's cattle going to slaughter younger that they used to before Mad Cow.
With a Brooks, you will be able to replace a dead saddle with a new one the same, unlike plastic saddles, where if a comfortable saddle dies, it will have been replaced by a different or redesigned model when you look for another.

Last time I replaced a saddle, I got a Gilles Berthoud Aspin instead, which is just as comfortable, and is showing every sign of lasting longer than the Team Pro so far (7 years).

Top Bottom