To those who use a helmet camera in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy84

Veteran
I thought the motorist guy was actually quite balanced, I don't think he and magnatom gave the presenter the 'war' that he was after.

They have said that they've had lots of texts through though.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
That Ex Top gear bloke was a bit of a one trick pony (Licence Plates :rolleyes: ). Brilliant example not of how it works well in many other countries, 'Mopeds are licensed in Italy' ( the last I knew Mopeds were a fair bit different from a bike and Italy was not many countries, you could count San Marino and the Vatican City but I think that'd be cheating).

PS I recorded it Magna, Ive left Audacity running in case any good texts come in but it doesn't sound like it.

blubb

You done pretty good, however i was missing a strong argument against the number plate for bicycles rubbish.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Bah! The start was my best bit. I turned cyclists v's motorists into good road users v's bad! :becool:

My concern when you said that, was that by implication you were suggesting (cyclists vs. motorists ---> good vs. bad)
cyclists = good road users
drivers = bad road users.
I know you weren't, but worth stressing in future?

Firstly, I think you did very well - I'm not sure I'd have been brave enough to have gone on national radio like that, so well done! :biggrin:

I must say though that I was a little disappointed with the segment (not with you). Given the strength of feeling (obvious from the texts etc.) I was hoping for perhaps a 10-15min really productive debate, exploring the issues. However, you got about 2 chances to speak, the other chap the same, and just two short callers, and everyone was interrupted to keep their answers short. Yet afterwards, the presenter was prattling on about nothing - he's now talking about a dog jumping on a piano!
Perhaps my expectations were wrong?

I thought that the other chap was very prepared and drove home the idea of identification/accountability - it would be interesting to learn more how other countries administer this. I also think that you did very well in getting across the idea that we don't think all cyclists are saintly, and that we can all learn how to do things better; and you countered the accountability/insurance idea well with the mention of house insurance.

And, you didn't scream once. :tongue:

Hope that's useful?

Aye there was very little time for real debate. Ho hum. Nearly time for me to get some grub and a beer anyway! :smile:

You done pretty good, however i was missing a strong argument against the number plate for bicycles rubbish.

Two main reasons really, one I eluded to is the practical issue. The cost to administer it would be huge and it would be near impossible to police. Do you have plates on 2 year old scoot bikes, what about all the old bikes, what about those who own multiple bikes, where does the plate go etc....

The second is the negative impact it would have on cycling itself. Do we really want to put people off cycling, or encourage it?

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
You should have mentioned that in America a lot of car insurance companies insist on a camera in the car and that a lot of the vids on YouTube are from bus and lorry drivers.

My concern when you said that, was that by implication you were suggesting (cyclists vs. motorists ---> good vs. bad)
cyclists = good road users
drivers = bad road users.
I know you weren't, but worth stressing in future?

Ah, but only people who are bad drivers would have made that misinterpretation.....oh...wait a minute...!:ohmy:;)

blubb

Not now, but in the discussion :tongue:

Also it seems to work pretty well on cars not making them jump red lights.
It would punish the good road users and won't make a significant change among the bad ones.

Top Bottom